Thread: Just checking in...

Rochester Hills, MI

Just checking in...

Howdy folks!
    It's been a little while since I've checked in. I pop in now and then and read but haven't posted anything in a while. Things are still pretty tough here and I'm trying to adjust to my circumstances. For a while it looked like I was going to have to get out of the trades and find other work. That's still a possibility but I'm fighting it as best I can.

This past week I had a kitchen/laundry flooring job that I did. About 7 or 8 years ago, I laid oak parquet and it came out very nice and the customer liked it a lot but she was ready for a change. She wanted to go with a ceramic-look laminate but I found a groutable resilient self-stick tile that looked nicer and was a bit cheaper. It was a lot of work but I stripped up the parquet and the old self-stick tile that was there and installed a new luan sub-floor and installed the new floor. It took me about four and a half days from start to finish which for just shy of 200 square feet is a little longer than it should have, but I'm only one person and the customer knows my situation and kept telling me to take my time and don't worry if it took a little longer. I've got a good 35 hours into the job from start to finish. Probably 90% of the job was spent on my knees ripping out or installing. I had a couple pretty bad days but I toughed it out and got through it. Surprisingly, the soreness went away much faster than I thought it would. I've got another job that a client wants me to do that I've been putting off for a while due to my illness. But I talked to him the other day and he said that any time I'm ready, I can get started. (it's great to have understanding clients!)

The kitchen/laundry floor came out beautifully and the customer is very happy. I'm hoping to line up some more work soon and maybe I'll be able to work through some of my issues and keep on working in the trades for a while longer. I saw my neurologist a couple weeks ago and got some new information. I've got an appointment on October 08 for an ALS clinic that he recommended for me. I don't have ALS, but a lot of the symptoms and problems are similar and he thinks that the clinic might be beneficial. I did a little over two months of physical therapy at 3 times a week and it did help. I was able to get some improvement with some of my issues and hopefully with continued exercise, it will continue to improve.

Well I'll sign off for now. I just wanted to say hi. Hopefully soon I'll have some pics of some projects to boast about.

Take care and have a great day!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Glad to hear that you are able to get back to work, at least a little at a time. Sounds like your mental outlook is improving as well.
    Good news for sure John
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Glad to hear it John.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

GTA Ontario Canada
    Good to hear from you John. Glad you managing and coping with the work. Hang tough.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    That's encouraging news for sure John
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Los Angeles, CA
    Glad things are looking up for you, John.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

ABQ NM
    I'll echo the others, John. Sounds like you're making lemonade out of all those lemons.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Indianapolis area
    Sounds like you have a pretty terrific outlook on life John. Good to hear form you. Take care.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi