Lucky Trucker

Apparently, due to the way insurance works in russia, it's very common for folks to use dashboard cameras to record everything.

That's one reason you see so many of these types of things coming from there.

Apparently, due to the way insurance works in russia, it's very common for folks to use dashboard cameras to record everything.

That's one reason you see so many of these types of things coming from there.

That's what I was wondering, why on earth would anyone record miles and miles of trip behind another truck. Now it makes sense. No Tour de Wood in Russia I would say, ( although we had our share in US:()

I did download an app for my phone to let me record dashcam video. I'm actually more interested in using it to generate time lapse movies of a drive though.

Kind of an interesting idea.

Search for 'Russian Dash Cam Video' and you'll get tons of very strange things recorded...

That's what I was wondering, why on earth would anyone record miles and miles of trip behind another truck. Now it makes sense. No Tour de Wood in Russia I would say, ( although we had our share in US:()
probably a case of covering their behind... in case something 'bad' happened, there would be a record of it.

I did download an app for my phone to let me record dashcam video. I'm actually more interested in using it to generate time lapse movies of a drive though.

Kind of an interesting idea.

Search for 'Russian Dash Cam Video' and you'll get tons of very strange things recorded...
I keep entering the 'everything we make' givewaway by Go Pro, I'm not parking my D300s out in the elements for a time lapse, but the goPro cameras are 'armored' enough that I'd be fine putting one of them out there.

The app I got actually 'recycles' the video space. It records in 30 second chunks or somthing. You can tap on the window to retain any particular section. The pictures can be automatically uploaded as well. Kind of cool actually.

To add to what Brent said, there is a lot of insurance fraud in Russia. "Swoop and squat" is apparently real common. That's where someone passes you then slams the brakes, causing you to hit them. Dash cam have become very common, especially for commercial vehicles.