Breaks your heart...

That looks like a leisurely weekend for Jeff Horton. ;) After seeing his restoration job, I'm guessing there still some good cutting left in the one you linked to.

........and I'll bet that motor looks the same as the saw, both inside AND out.:doh: Let's see, motor rebuild, and $10/pound of rust for rust removal hassle, new bearings, new belts,.....purchase rotary inverter to get 3 phase:dunno: ............It is a real pity that some folks just don't realize how much damage can be done to a piece of machinery when stored inder a cover that won't breathe. Seems to me like that just may be one project (at that initial price), that would only be worth doing if someone just had a burning desire to save a piece of OLD IRON, and didn't care how much money it took to do it.:huh: :dunno: :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Norman, if the thing was $100 or less, maybe, but at $250 and with a lot of unknowns.....?

Would be nice to see something like this saved, for sure, but man........ that is a lot of work!! :rolleyes:

Jeff........ :rofl:

Jeff walks in and looks around to see who everyone it talking too.
Seeing the photos and he just silently walks down tot he Lab and hugs his Unisaw.
Is that?
Why yes I think it is a tear in his eye??

We now return you to our regular scheduled programing.

Last edited:
OK, that is one sad looking __________!!!! (Kept CoC compliant)

I strongly suspect that is strictly a parts machine. Of course to be fair I would have to see the inside of it. But if it looks like the outside, I would take it if you gave it to me, then I might find a few parts I could sell. But I wouldn't pay for that saw!! Unless there is a goose egg cover hiding on the other side. ;)

The fences could be saved. The hand wheels. The top can be salvaged but not sure it would be worth it. Probably pitted really bad. Man, I thought mine looked bad when I started on it. That is sad, sad, sad.

Lee, no doubt it can be brought back to life. I just think you would have more in it than it is would be worth. And I mean just in parts! Not counting your labor.

Here is what mine looked like when I got it.

before3.jpg

Mine looked good inside and actually if the top were cleaned itwould have been usable (barely). I seriously doubt that one is running or anywhere near usable. But it could fool me too.

I added the photos so everyone can see this saw.

Nf3ni8xWaeiMpxcbFzv3GpeVQvJQ.jpg fCoWyeMPA6Tq4RbI27I8DQTVjC5x.jpg

Last edited:
Must be my bad eyesight, but it doesn't look too different than what you started with Jeff.

What's the difference, you put yours in the tank, didn't you?

Most tables clean up nicely. The motor is 3 phase.

Would make someone a good saw with a bit of elbow grease, IMO, but what do I know...:doh:

Well Alan, there is no way to know without seeing it. But I am imagining everything inside will look as bad as the outside. I see huge amounts of labor to get it clean and going again. I figure the motor has moisture damage too. Switch may be bad. Bearing shot and just lots of $$$. If you look long enough you can find a running Uni for $800. But you never know! It might just be on the outside.

I drug home a wooden boat once that my wife swore would never float and she knows how to see a diamond in the rough. No one would buy it because it looked like....... whats a polite word ........ well, there is no polite word for the way this boat looked. But it turned out beautiful and was no where near as bad as it looked. You just has to look past the sever case of UGLY it had.

As you said, What do I know?? ;)

Jeff

Jeff,

Perspective is everything. You were able to look past the rust on yours and it ended up being a fine saw. I think that one might be also, and would make someone a good home and possibly be a great saw for a few hundred bucks, and that's better than eight...

Most rust is surface, but pitting could be a concern. Still, the table doesn't look too bad, but hard to tell in those pics, certainly.;)

Silly rookie question:

How detrimental is pitting in a table top, really? I can see that it could be a hassle when sawdust gets into the pits, but if the surface was cleaned and waxed up, wouldn't a board still slide along the top OK? I've never seen a pitted top in person, so I don't have any first-hand experience. I'm picturing pits that are less than 1/8" or so in diameter, but it doesn't seem it would make the saw unusable.

Edumacate me...

Silly rookie question:

How detrimental is pitting in a table top, really? I can see that it could be a hassle when sawdust gets into the pits, but if the surface was cleaned and waxed up, wouldn't a board still slide along the top OK? I've never seen a pitted top in person, so I don't have any first-hand experience. I'm picturing pits that are less than 1/8" or so in diameter, but it doesn't seem it would make the saw unusable.

Edumacate me...

vaughn, the pits would help hold wax and make the top slicker;) .....actually other than asthetics pits wouldn`t hurt a thing as long as the top is flat and the pits aren`t deap enough or close enough together to cause a large hollow spot i`d say it`d be just fine to use if you don`t require a nice shiney saw top to cut wood......tod

My Unisaw top was ... well still is pitted. I have a photo somewhere but I have a job this morning. No, it's not a job, it's a waste of time but a chance to get my name out with new people. Sorry I digress.

Pitting doesn't bother mine. I can't tell any difference in using the saw and I don't even see them anymore. Mine are not too serious but as Tod said, doesn't hurt a thing and holds more wax! :D

Alan, your right. I am judging a book by it's cover basically. Would have to see the inside to know for sure. Still, I would expect the inside to look like the outside but that is prejudging isn't it? ;)