Re-upholstered the Bargain Bin chair I rebuilt for lomls sewing room. The chair was all wobbly woo and had a horrible old cracked vinyl seat cover. Pulled it all apart, cleaned it up, glued it back together and put a couple coats of shellac on the wood. And.. there is sat for ~6 months. Finally got around to putting some upholstery back on the seat. We used bats of short wool for the stuffing (loml was carding fleeces and the trimmings and other short bits that were no good for spinning found a use here) and some upholstery leather I got onsale (bargain bin at theleatherguy.org) for the covering. I have enough leather left over for about 15 more chairs this size
Tools of the trade top to bottom: tack hammer, nail puller/straightener and upholstery stretcher.
The seat. Yeah I know there are a couple of lumps in the front.. sigh. They really show up in a picture and actually aren't all THAT bad If I did it again I think I'd felt the top and bottom layers of the stuffing and then whip stitch them around some loose infill. Also how you fluff/lay the stuffing really matters as far as evenness . Live and learn, still works fine but improvement could be had. I'd probably pull it apart and redo but.. I already did that once because the stuffing had pulled back from the front when I stretched the cover (another vote for felting plus infill stitched for consistency) and I'm not sure how many re-tacking this old wood will take before I have to rebuild the whole seat assembly. We'll leave it for now
Disclaimers: no I didn't make the chair just saved it from the trash heap, and I'm far from anything resembling a professional (or even really fully competent) upholster. I've done a few other similar seats with foam filling, this is my first with natural fiber. Overall I think I prefer the wool to foam for working with based on a sample size of one