Simple lidded box

Billy Burt

I never throw wood away. EVER! So when I found an Oak headboard being thrown out, I cut it apart, and salvaged the pieces. One was a 4" wide stretcher. I wanted to make the neighbor girl a box for her birthday so I cut 5 4" squares from the stretcher. I glued up 3 for the box and 2 for the lid. I sanded most of the stain off each side first, but left a little for contrast. So here is the result. I think she liked it, but being 7, she wasn't sure what to do with it. Oh, well, her mom and dad thought it was cool.

640BellaOakBox.jpg640BellaOakBox2.jpg640BellaOakBox3.jpg

That's pretty cool, Billy. I'll bet the little girl will appreciate the box (and the sentiment) more as she gets older. :thumb:

That a nice pretty little box... is that red oak? I like red oak. I picked up some that a local farmer was cutting up after the tree fell across the road... he was just tossing it in a ditch saying it's not good for anything... made some nice bowls from it...

very nice work and I'm sure the neighbor will cherish it.

Thanks, guys! Yes, Chuck, it is red oak... at least that was my initial thought. There are places where it has the fleck you see in QS White Oak though, so it had me second guessing.

When the girl next door was 7 she was a box "nut." She loved boxes of every material, type, color, whatever.

People are different.

When Glenn gets off on one of his quality pieces of furniture he makes glue-ups for me to turn from the leftovers. As you probably know, they are fun to turn.

I like your box design.

Enjoy,

JimB

Thanks, guys! Yes, Chuck, it is red oak... at least that was my initial thought. There are places where it has the fleck you see in QS White Oak though, so it had me second guessing.

If the color is true on my monitor, I'm pretty sure it's red oak... looks like one of my bowls from the red oak pieces I picked up on the side of the road a couple years back...
10-723_0.JPG10-723_1.JPG