Powder Post Beetle Maybe?

Mike Turner

I have a large stainless steel tub turned on its side and sitting on blocks behind my shop with various woods drying for turning.. The open end of the tub is covered with a heavy tarp...There are mainly green magnolia , dogwood, cherry and a few odds and end pieces. the big pieces are split and all the pieces have the ends coated with anchor seal and the bark is left on all....Anyhow I noticed some powdery stuff near some of the dogwood and maybe some of the other wood...What do I do??

I wasnt sure if this was the right place to post this...

Are you seeing any holes? Especially ones with little piles of dust around them?

Typical treatments use a boron based chemical, which are pretty safe to humans and pets. I'm not sure about treatment for boards if you're going to use the wood for projects.

Attachments

• lyctiddamage.jpg
    lyctiddamage.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 47
I am seeing holes...not tiny ones either..There is a whitish powder coming from the dogwood..I stripped the bark from one of the pieces I want to save but I have left it outside with the other dogwood pieces...Dont want it in the shop. I thought about making some kind of make shift kiln to just put these branches in and dry them real good...I wanted to makes a flute from the best piece and dogwood any size is hard to find here...Anyone have an idea on making a kiln ?If I had a piece of pipe big enough to put branch in and a light that should work. I know one guy on line that dries all his branches for his flutes in a box/kiln..

This might be a crazy idea, but what about putting the branch in a piece of PVC pipe with caps on the ends and pulling a good vacuum on it and holding it there for a few hours? that should crush the little buggers.:rofl::rofl:

For small pieces I think using a microwave oven probably would kill them. I sometimes need to rush a roughed out bowl to get it dry and use a method I found on internet somewhere. I basically put the wood in a plastic bag, I usually use a tall kitchen garbage bag and seal it up by twisting the top, then I pop it in the microwave on high for two minutes. Then I take it out and let it cool for five minutes and wipe the bag dry, I usually just turn it inside out. I weigh it each time it cools down and keep track of the weight. When it starts loosing less weigh it is usually dry as it needs to be. The idea is to keep the wood hot and wet. I think this would kill any bugs or creatures in it. I always let it set a few days to stabilize. Most of the time it gains weight.

always strip the bark off wood you are saving, even a fence post debarked will last years... but put one in the ground with bark it will be dust in a short while

This might be a crazy idea, but what about putting the branch in a piece of PVC pipe with caps on the ends and pulling a good vacuum on it and holding it there for a few hours? that should crush the little buggers.:rofl::rofl:

I like your style Hans.....Carols all for starve them u suffocate em. :)
Wish i could draw can see the cartoon in my head. Kinda like the Raid ants ad on tv where the ants wanna get a gasmask. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2