Just thought this was odd. Members vs visitors

Tom Baugues

I just noticed at the bottom of a page it showed "There are currently 239 users online. 27 members and 212 guests". That's a lot of guests. I'm sure we welcome them all. I just thought the numbers would have been the other way around. More members online than guests.
Shows how much I know. :doh:

From surfing other sites, I assume we get a lot of lookie-loos who don't join or have left because we don't tolerate a lack of tolerance :D. Other sites, moderated or not, seem to be where those with a lot to say and little to offer, thrive. Was that too harsh?

What's the difference between the statistic "Member" and "Active member"? Is it that some people join and then don't come back for some period of time? If so, what is that time? Just wondering.

Mike

Mike, "Active" members are those who have visited the site in the past XX days. I believe XX=90, but I'm not positive. Perhaps Darren or Brent can recall.

The guests are often robots from search engines indexing our posts so they can be searched. There are probably more of them than there are casual visitors.

Of course, a lot of people probably search on "plane" or "router", and come here without thinking that "familywoodworking" may not have a lot to do with aircraft or switching devices.

Having more visitors/guests than members viewing a website is a common experience. There are a lot of folks who for various reasons don't want to join a site including those who don't want a internet presence to be found by search engines.

The guests are often robots from search engines indexing our posts so they can be searched. There are probably more of them than there are casual visitors.

Very True, many are search engines that don't identify themselves as search engines.

Careful kid or you will sound like your father.

:rofl:

I want to say that active members are any member that has logged in the past 90 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post

That is why I asked a while back that out interview section be blocked to non members and search engines.