Cottage Clock

Jim Gray

Just finished this Connecticut Cottage Clock. Well almost, I still need to etch the lower glass but that can wait till I find some pattern that I like.

It is a quartz non-chiming movement. The wood is walnut, and the finish is polyurethane. The case is from one of John Nelson's books and is a replica of an E.N. Welch clock from 1865. The face is my own design. Size is 11 3/4" high by 8" wide. I used animal hide glue where glue was required instead of pva glue.

It will go to my sister-in-law for her birthday.

Attachments

• DSC02621.jpg
    DSC02621.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 68
Next will be a replica of a Beehive Clock from around 1840 made by the Ingraham Clock Co. I have drawn up my own plans and have started on it but it will be about 3 weeks before I can work on it. The original is about 19" high but I have reduced the whole thing by 25% so it doesn't look so massive. When the original was made, ceilings were 10-12 feet high as opposed to the 8 feet of today. I made one last year and sent it to my son. This one will go to the Clute Texas community college to be sold at their silent auction during their Madrigal festival.

Next will be a replica of a Beehive Clock from around 1840 made by the Ingraham Clock Co. I have drawn up my own plans and have started on it but it will be about 3 weeks before I can work on it. The original is about 19" high but I have reduced the whole thing by 25% so it doesn't look so massive. When the original was made, ceilings were 10-12 feet high as opposed to the 8 feet of today. I made one last year and sent it to my son. This one will go to the Clute Texas community college to be sold at their silent auction during their Madrigal festival.

I like the whole idea of donating work to raise money for a good cause. Kudos to you sir.

I've made four of these clocks in the past and etched the glass with the Armor glass etching acid. I used a rub on rose pattern on the lower glass but have been unable to find it at the craft stores now, so I'll have to go on an internet search to find what I want. It will get done in time.

just looked at the clock again and reread your post. I thought that you were etching the top glass.:eek: Looking forward to seeing your ideas for the bottom glass :D

I'd like to make this as well.

Tom, I got the plans for this clock from a book by John A. Nelson, Clockmaking: 18 Antique Designs for the Woodworker. If you do a search on http://www.abebooks.com for John A. Nelson, keyword - clocks you can find the book for a very reasonable price....Jim