Planer woes AGAIN

I was out in the shop this afternoon... I carefully swapped blades on my planer, and triple checked that all of the allen head screws were tight. I planed one board smooth, and then started another blank through. About three passes down the motor started making an odd high pitched ticking noise. I immediately hit the switch and shut it off, cranked up the head, Unplugged the planer (again) and tore back into the blade section. I checked again that the blade holders were secure, which they were. Buttoned it back up, plugged it back in, and hit the switch again. Same ticking noise. (no board going through, just checking the motor). I will refrain from repeating what was going through my mind at that moment...:bang::pullhair::tantrum:suffice to say it was not COC compliant.

Looks like it is going to be 'it' as far as planing anything until I find another full time job. I've already had this in the shop once this fall, can't afford to put it in again right now. :(

I have about ten cutting boards in progress, going to figure out plan B on finishing them up, then close down the production line for boards for awhile.

Can you see the drive belt and pulley to make sure they are tight? Wonder if its a bearing?

If you were a tad bit closer I'd take a look at it for ya.

Can you see the drive belt and pulley to make sure they are tight? Wonder if its a bearing?

If you were a tad bit closer I'd take a look at it for ya.

I know myself... and I'm better off leaving it for awhile. (so, No I didn't open it up).
I suspect something else in the driveline however. The belt is less than a month old, so I'm going to drag it back over to the repair shop and see what they can find.

Thanks though!

Seriously considering upgrading to a woodmaster

Bob,
purely on economics, I think the trip itself, while a great idea, and one I plan on making some time, would offset the 10% in gas & tolls... So will just have to look for a sale after Jan 1. I'm going to consider fixing the 734 and selling it to offset some of the cost. Or, like a buddy of mine once did, just hang onto it as a 'spare'

Last edited:
Bummer Ned. Keep an eye on Craigslist after christmas, wouldn't be surprised to see a few things showing up there as people upgrade or get things they didn't actually want.