sharpening brad points

Frank Fusco

From the other discussion on Drill Doctors, I was reminded that I don't have a good solution for sharpening brad point bits.
For larger bp I use my 1" belt sander/grinder. It works fairly well if I get the right angle on the inside edge. Not real good but sorta OK.
Smaller bits are the challenge. I can touch up some with a diamond Ez Lap sharpener, the kind that is about the size of a tongue depressor. But that is not effective for a dull bit.
How can one sharpen a brad point bit properly?

Brad point bits come in different profiles. I do basic utility profiled bits with a teardrop jeweler's file or, for the larger ones (3/8" and over) I use one of these. The auger file is also perfect for Forstners along with a small cone grinding stone (I use one made for a Dremel in the drill press at about 600rpm) and those inexpensive diamond paddles. The more involved brad point profiles, like lipped bits, are pretty much throw away's per Lee Valley. [UPDATE: bad phrasing in previous statement :eek:. By "throw-aways, I mean they are better replaced than sharpened. Great bits and I do recommend them.] This is why I am very careful when using them and have more than one of sizes under 1/8". I don't like buying multiples but, I like getting stopped in the middle of something even less ;-)

Last edited:
Frank, when I spent a week with Elia Bizzarri, he showed me how he does it. Before I go on, I have to say that I wouldn't try this myself. He took a diamond wheel truer and made a groove in the face of his wheel. [It used to be 8" and was down to around 6] This was right at the arris of the wheel. He then put the spur of the bradpoint in that groove, and a few seconds later, he had himself a sharp and refreshed brad point bit. Some folks have so much skill, they make it look way too easy.

I hate to disagree with Glenn, but maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. I have the LV brad points, and other than hitting a hard screw or nail [DAMHIKT] they seem to last and last. I've had mine for years, and they still seem plenty sharp. I don't use them for crappy holes though, just the good stuff.

I think Ken is disagreeing with my statement that Lee Valley lipped bits are throw-aways. Now that I re-read that, it does sound like I am advising against those bits. This could not be more wrong ;-) I love my LV lipped bits. I was trying to say that Lee Valley responded to my inquiry about having them sharpened by saying I should just replace them. I just phrased it poorly. I have a full set between 5/64" and 1/2" in 64ths and would recommend them heartily. The original small set I have is still in use within that range and has served me well. They are still serving right along side the new ones. Great bits.

Ken, mine are a mix of inexpensive 'set' bits and more expensive no-names from the woodworking supply catalogs. I'm not sure how I dulled them but I do have some that do need sharpening, especially smaller sizes.
The idea describes sounds interesting but not something I'll be trying soon. Thanks.