Turned Pocket Watch

Jim Gray

I've turned about 2 dozen of these now and have given them all away as gifts. This one is made from yellowheart and is 2" in diameter with a 1 7/16" clock insert. The wood was a piece of scrap from another project and the clock insert came from Hobby Lobby and the chain came from Klockit. I've done a little tutorial on how I make them and it can be found at http://jimgsr.freehostia.com/watch/Pocket Watch.htm

If I am doing them wrong, please don't tell me, the way I'm doing them in the tutorial works for me and everyone that's gotten one from me has liked them. This one will go to a brother-in-law.

Attachments

• pocketwatch front and back.jpg
    pocketwatch front and back.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 87
I've turned about 2 dozen of these now and have given them all away as gifts. This one is made from yellowheart and is 2" in diameter with a 1 7/16" clock insert. The wood was a piece of scrap from another project and the clock insert came from Hobby Lobby and the chain came from Klockit. I've done a little tutorial on how I make them and it can be found at http://jimgsr.freehostia.com/watch/Pocket Watch.htm

If I am doing them wrong, please don't tell me, the way I'm doing them in the tutorial works for me and everyone that's gotten one from me has liked them. This one will go to a brother-in-law.

Well, I don't see anything wrong with it. But if there were an easier/safer/efficient way you are burying your head in the sand???????

Hey those are really cool.

FYI on the jam chucks instead of using a tap for the drive side for small stuff I've been turning MT2 extensions which also works pretty well. I made a MT2 "guage" (two sticks nailed to a board at the proper angle) to get them right in one pass.

Great just what I needed another great idea to try :rofl:

The watches are very nice. Anyone who appreciates wood would enjoy seeing one of them.

However, I am a no watch type person. I am always near something that tells time: car clock, clocks all over the house and shop, clocks in stores, clocks on radios, clocks on ovens, clocks on coffee makers, heck---even a clock on my cellphone. Anyway, I just don't use watches...I am a fairly small person and don't carry anything that is not necessary. Now, in the shop, I may have items in my pockets such as: screwdriver, block plane, flashlight, measuring device, etc. (I'm sure you all know that drill.)

Enjoy (I enjoyed your watches)

JimB