Raised Panel Add-on to Tall Router Fence

glenn bradley

I have a kitchen hutch idea that may end up with raised panels on it somewhere. I was thinking about a better, safer way to do them on the tablesaw. This magazine cover gave me an idea.

RP add on for RT tall fence v2 (1).jpg

I already had the tall router fence (shown here) so I thought up an add-on to make it do double duty. I love my jigs but, they do take up room so anytime I can get more than one use out of a fixture, it is OK by me. I cut a piece of 1/4" MDF to the size of the tall fence face and added a couple of 1" x 3/8" end pieces for stiffness. I used a shop made fairing stick to draw a curve on a piece of straight grained oak about 1-3/4" x 1" to make the pressure bar (similar to a curved caul).

RP add on for RT tall fence v2 (2).jpgRP add on for RT tall fence v2 (3).jpg

Prior to shaping the curve on the pressure bar, I drilled it at the drill press and then used it to line up the holes for the knobs/bolts that will hold the victim to the jig and the jig to the tall router fence assembly.

RP add on for RT tall fence v2 (4).jpgRP add on for RT tall fence v2 (5).jpg

Here's the parts laid out and a dummy panel clamped down to show how it works. Unlike when being used for the router table, the whole jig slides along the fence to make the cut.

RP add on for RT tall fence v2 (6).jpgRP add on for RT tall fence v2 (7).jpgRP add on for RT tall fence v2 (8).jpgRP add on for RT tall fence v2 (9).jpg

I can't actually make a cut as I need another long bolt for the pressure bar (I just faked it for the pics). I will also glue a wide strip of sandpaper along the 1/4" MDF for a better grip after I shellac the whole thing. It can dry while I run to the BORG for a few longer bolts to backfill my depleted stock.

Last edited:
Here it is with all the details on. I just raised a small piece of cherry scrap. I was after something that could be touched up with a couple swipes from a hand plane and it looks like it will do that well enough.

RP add on for RT tall fence v2 (10).jpg . RP add on for RT tall fence v2 (11).jpg

There's variations with a defined raised area or one more subtle as shown. At any rate it should be interesting and only takes up a few more inches of the nook where I stash the tall router table fence anyway :thumb: