It's Friday! 10/5 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's creeped up on us again, but I'll take it. ;)

Not sure what we're doing tonight. It's usually date night, but my wife hasn't been feeling well. She's got to go see an oral surgeon on Tuesday, they think the cartilage in her jaw has popped out.

Tomorrow I need to go get some wood and get started on face frames. Starting to run short on time, so my nephew is also coming over tomorrow. Going to pay him to remove wallpaper, skim-coat the walls, and get them ready for paint. Will probably work with him to finish gutting the bath first, but let him take it from there. Hoping to get tile started next week.

What's everyone else got going on?

probably a mistake, but Im taking my wife and daughter to an outlet shopping center and setting them loose.

:eek::eek:

My BIL's birthday today so out with him and our wives for a cold ones and then home for nice fire. Nothing else planned for the weekend except for lots of yardwork as the leaves and pine needles are flying all over now. FALL IS HERE!!:D

I want to work on the two chairs I'm building, but I have to do something about the fence in the back yard, as my big dog knocked a board out of it, going after another dog. Fortunately, she's too big to go through a 6" gap. The fence was not well built (by my BIL) in the first place. Other than that, it's Canadian Thanksgiving, and the kids will be coming home Sunday and Monday.

even though we don't have anyone on the team, the family is going to the high school for homecoming/last home game tonight, so friday night lights it is... other than that, I've still got the planer issues to deal with, going to be sifting things around a bit out in the shop today.

I'll be getting together with friends on Sunday as well.

I have to replace a Neutral Safety switch (gear position sensor) in my 2001 Volvo S-40. Hopefully that goes quick and smooth. My granddaughter has a soccer game in the morning I'd like to go to then I'd like to get a little yard work done. Saturday evening my So-in-law is bringing his projector over and we'll hook that up and watch the Ohio State - Nebraska game out on the patio. GO BUCKS!!!

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta starts this weekend and runs through next weekend. I'll be there some on both weekends for sure. From the late 1980s until 2000, I was a crew member on one of several balloons at this event, taking the entire week off to work the balloons and be part of the show. I've not been to the Fiesta since I broke my back in 2001. (It pretty much put me out of the balloon-chasing business.) This will be the first Fiesta I've attended since then, and it'll my first one in a LONG time that I wasn't setting up, chasing, packing up, or flying in a balloon. I'll be sure to get some photos. ;)

Here are a few balloons I've been involved with over the years...

A 200 foot long tennis shoe:

FamousFootwear1.jpg

An 11-story tall bald eagle:

eagle.jpg

A very large polar bear. I don't recall all the stats, but you can get an idea of the scale when you see the people standing by the right rear foot:

bear.gif

Looks like a good time, I remember seeing the festival as a youngin when we were passing though to AZ. Seems like the wind would really play havoc on some of those designs flight.

Actually, the shoe was pretty controllable, since it tended to act as a weather vane, but the bear and the eagle were real challenging to control on the ground when the wind kicked up. Once they were up in the air, they all flew pretty easily, once you got used to the size. It's like flying a 747 among a bunch of Cessnas.

Hmm, either you already spent more money on something than they will and have to even things out or you're trying to get out of the dog house? Which is it? :D

nope, neither.

I dont want to give myself a canary, but Ive been feeling alot better besides the usual back and feet issues.
My neurologist let me know a couple of weeks ago I dont have to have any more home infusions, Im a free man as long as I continue doing ok.
Having heard the good news, well, at least I expected it months ago, I decided to start travelling a bit again and cross a couple of things off my bucket list.

Im taking my family to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon(bucket list item) in december, and told my wife and daughter they should go out and buy some new clothes for the trip. They didnt argue.
My next trip, hopefully next year, Id like to take my family to europe.(2 things off my bucket list)
I had to cross bungie jumping off, because of my weight and insurance issues.(seems bungie companies have strict guidelines for fat people)

Nothing but work. Tonight 6-10 and sat and sun 9-6.

Maybe sat night the wife and I can get out for a nice chinese dinner.

Working weekends only stinks. I have no time to spend with the wife.

Hey, Allen, contact me in December. I'm only an hour away. Love to meet your family. See, one family get together spawns another family get together.

Well, for me, it is waiting hear when my Dad's service will be. I am, of course, working this weekend also. :) I am almost caught up from being gone for three weeks, but I will need to get ready to go again for a few days. Also, I found two motorhomes to check out. One is in SoCal and the other in AZ, so that's on the agenda when I can get there. Maybe next week.

I think your eagle makes it to the Reno race every year...

Good the hear it's still flying. It was one of the most impressive (and heaviest) balloons I ever worked. The guy who originally owned it was never able to find a corporate sponsor for it, so he and his wife didn't fly it much other than at a few of the Albuquerque events. It sat in storage for years. He got out of the balloon business a few years ago, and passed away a year or so ago.

took the wife :blah: to get her grand tour done today. only a polyp (small), and a small 'roid (to be banded). thank goodness that was all there was. finished up the new floorboard for a friend of ours' truck. tomorrow morning it's a fundraiser lunch for her church, and not sure what else, but i'll find something to do... lol

Saturday morning we're off to the Farmer's Market again... only 5 more for the season, plus a festival on 20th.... then on Sunday I have to plant a couple of trees I've been stalling on... need to get them in the ground before we lose them.