My next big project

LOML and I spent the weekend in Northeastern Ohio Amish Country a few weeks back and our room was furnished with very nice locally crafted Mission style furniture. Diane just loved the bed and since we are in the market for something new I decided that I would have to build her one. I will not likely get started on this till after the holidays since I'll probably be busier than a one armed paper hanger in a windstorm getting Christmas gifts together but I am looking forward to getting started. I will probably use cherry, not a traditional Arts and Crafts material I know, but I have a good bit available and that would be her preference.

Mission Bed.jpg Headboard.jpg Footboard.jpg

LOML and I spent the weekend in Northeastern Ohio Amish Country a few weeks back ...

Where were you? Middlefield, perhaps? I go up there fairly often.

We often go to Holmes County (Berlin, Millersburg, Charm, etc.) If you go that way, be sure not to miss Keim Lumber & Hardware, just off Route 557, in Charm. Well worth the visit!

i think cherry was one of the woods used back in the day for mission style.. i have seen that bed style in cherry and you will like it when you get it done:)

Where were you? Middlefield, perhaps? I go up there fairly often.

We often go to Holmes County (Berlin, Millersburg, Charm, etc.) If you go that way, be sure not to miss Keim Lumber & Hardware, just off Route 557, in Charm. Well worth the visit!

Jim, We were at the Carlisle Inn at Sugar Creek for my wife's birthday. Love to visit the area and pop in to the Guggisberg or Heine cheese factories and have dinner at one of the Der Dutchman places. I'm going to have to make a special trip over to Charm so I can spend a little time at Keim Lumber. I've been by it too many times but haven't had the opportunity to stop in.

I'm with all you guys on the cherry. The true arts and crafts purist would probably say I should be using quarter sawn white oak but I think cherry will work out just dandy.

Jim, We were at the Carlisle Inn at Sugar Creek for my wife's birthday. Love to visit the area and pop in to the Guggisberg or Heine cheese factories and have dinner at one of the Der Dutchman places. I'm going to have to make a special trip over to Charm so I can spend a little time at Keim Lumber. I've been by it too many times but haven't had the opportunity to stop in...

Roy,
If your wife happens to be a quilter, there's Miller's Drygoods in charm - right on Rte 557, and about a quarter mile from Keim. I usually drop the wife off at Millers, then go on to Keim for an hour or so. Makes an interesting trip for both of us.

Also, if you get tired of Amish food, there's "Chalet in the Valley" swiss/Alpine restaurant a mile or so before you get to Charm. Great food, and there's a Guggisberg cheese place right across the street from it.

There are several Amish lumber yards along 557, but I've never stopped at them, because I don't have the truck with me.

Addendum: Almost forgot! Have you been to Lehman's Hardware - in Kidron, about 15 miles north of Heine's? It's a real old-fashioned hardware store, with a lot of Amish oriented stuff as well as more modern stuff. Well worth the trip.

Last edited:
I've made a bed somewhat similar in that the posts all have square caps similar to the sketches. So here's my $.02 based on painful bumps in the night. Round over the corners of the caps. It's easy to walk into them in the dark, and at thigh level, it can be rather painful.

bed with Leo.jpg

Roy, Also, if you get tired of Amish food, there's "Chalet in the Valley" swiss/Alpine restaurant a mile or so before you get to Charm. Great food, and there's a Guggisberg cheese place right across the street from it.

There are several Amish lumber yards along 557, but I've never stopped at them, because I don't have the truck with me.

Addendum: Almost forgot! Have you been to Lehman's Hardware - in Kidron, about 15 miles north of Heine's? It's a real old-fashioned hardware store, with a lot of Amish oriented stuff as well as more modern stuff. Well worth the trip.

Haven't been to "Chalet in the Valley" But we do want to check it out sometime. The Guggisberg factory across the street is a pretty regular stop when we're up that way. Love to go up to Lehman's. We haven't been up that way in a while but that has to be one of the coolest hardware stores around

Nice design. I had to have a little doodle. Here it is in cherry. I think that would be a great choice.

Dave, That is sweet. Nice job.

I've made a bed somewhat similar in that the posts all have square caps similar to the sketches. So here's my $.02 based on painful bumps in the night. Round over the corners of the caps. It's easy to walk into them in the dark, and at thigh level, it can be rather painful.

That's something to keep in mind Ken. I was thinking I might cut those caps back a little in size too.