Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: closet pullouts

closet pullouts

Im looking for an idea here.
    this small hall closet, is a mess constantly, and we can never get anything off the back of the shelves.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen reface 155 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	70874

I really need a project, Im going through woodworking withdrawal, spent the last few days making toy cars and cutting boards.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen reface 157 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	70875

The walls are 60 year old plaster walls.

so I got to thinking, instead of just trying to attach wood to attach full extensions slides, why not just build a plywood cabinet and insert it directly into the closet. My thoughts being, the walls in that closet are so uneven, not plum top to bottom, bumpy, lumpy, making an insert cabinet will eliminate any frustrations I might have trying to hang drawer slides evenly. Besides, I wont have to paint the bottom part where I put the sliders, as the plywood would look much better.
    Im only installing pullout drawers the bottom 5 feet of the cabinet, higher wont make sense.

any thoughts?help
    Last edited by allen levine; 10-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

just thought Id throw this in this thread
    my daughter thinks shes cute.(well, she is cute, but she is trying to be cutsie)
    shes always complaining I direct all my woodworking energies towards my sons home and making him furniture.
    I never make her anything.
    So, I know she wants a new car, so I gave her one of the simple toy cars I made out of the cherry scraps in the firepit bin.
    I found it last night on her dresser, she wrote herself a message.

now that message is quite ironic, since Ive given her 2 cars the past 8 years, and when I gave them to her, they were fairly new, and in mint condition. She seems to be a magnet for fenderbenders, and has creamed the jeep I gave her. Not a spot on it which doesnt have a dent or ding.

ya gotta luv ya kids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen reface 158 (Medium).jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

Storage cabinet sounds like a great idea. Could also do a door rack that lets you put smaller frequently used items on it. May even consider a pull out table (using 100 lb slides) to give you a surface to set items on that are on shelves up higher if you need to sort through something. I've got two old file cabinets in my shop I use for tool storage. They each have a surface like this which lets me pull out a tool and un-case it there when I need it. Similar to this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shelf.jpg  
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 10-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Everyone I have ever installed pullouts for raves about them. LOML's mom loves the ones in the kitchen because she can stoop down to reach back in the deeper lower cabinets anymore. LOML loves the ones in her pantry because there is no way anyone can keep a narrow cabinet 20-odd inches deep organized. With the pullouts you just pull and everything is right there in front of you, easily accessed. So, it depends on what you put in there but, I love pullouts. Rather than building a whole free standing carcass, I would attach ply to the side walls using shims to get them plumb and just attach the glides there.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

thats the reason Im putting in the pullouts. cant access anything on the back of the bottom shelves.
    It just limits the width a bit more, since the door doesnt open fully.
    Id have to make the cabinet slightly less to fit in the width of the walls.
    the way I figure, lose a few inches on the side, gain 10 inches that we couldnt reach before in the back.
    Human Test Dummy

Allen, I too thought of putting drawers/slide in into a closet opening. Worked up a design but never did build it. I have a sketchup file if you would like it, nothing fancy, just a box with drawers. If so, PM me with email address as it is too big to post here.

either glens idea or yours allen will work, and slide outs are the cats meow for sure.. and with a stool the top ones could be done too..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Make a cabinet to fit thats about 3" less in width. This will allow you to make everything in the shop and clearance for the hinge side of the door. Mount the slides using a series of 5mm (3/16") holes spaced about 1-1/2" apart so as your needs change you can easily change the location of the slides.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	70878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	70879

Norma has already changed the spacing on her pullouts under her sink a few times since I installed them.

making it all in the shop is how Im thinking.

I dont have hardware to make adjustable slides, figuring must need something to clip the slides into the holes, not looking to add any expense to this.
    I have alot of slides.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    making it all in the shop is how Im thinking.

I dont have hardware to make adjustable slides, figuring must need something to clip the slides into the holes, not looking to add any expense to this.
    I have alot of slides.
    The only thing you would purchase would be the 5mm euro screws. If need be I'll mail you some.