Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing Cherry

Finishing Cherry

So last weekend I picked up some cherry and cherry ply for my Master bath cabinets. I'm looking for suggestions for finishing it.

I'm leaning towards a natural finish and am considering using a water based lacquer and spray gun. Do I need to worry about blotching with the water based stuff? Also do I need to use a sealer first? If so, what would be recommended?

Will an HF gun work for this? Thinking about one like this... http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...gun-66222.html
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

youll get 10 answers, but I love the way cherry looks with Waterlox oil, 3 coats original, 2 coats semi or gloss.
    Human Test Dummy

I never like useing water base, it always looks plastic. Cherry is to nice of would to disrespect like that :-}

If you use a good lacquer sealer spray of a couple coats of sealer and sand with 320 and then another coat of sealer and light sanding then 2-3 coats of clear lacquer. You'll have beautiful looking cherry. Natural is my favorite.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I use both Target EM6000 and General Finishes 'Enduro" lacquers all the time, and really like both of them. Also, I have - and use - the HF gun you listed, and it works quite well for the EM6000. The 1.4 tip is a bit big for the Enduro - a 1.2mm is better.

If you don't like the crystal clear color of the WB finishes, try adding a drop or two of Transtint honey amber to the first coat or two. After that, use it straight - untinted.

Both the EM6000 and the Enduro will give you really nice results. Another finish you might like is the M.L. Campbell pre-catalyzed waterborne lacquer. It's highly recommended for kitchen and bath cabinets.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

funny thing is, is that i was just reading an article in the june 2011 fine woodworking, about spraying water based lacquer. for cherry, they suggest tinting the coating with an amber dye, to mimic the tone of solvent based lacquers. according to them, a better approach would be to first coat with a dewaxed shellac, you could tint the lighter shellac, or use a dewaxed version of a darker shellac. another approach from them would be to wipe a coat of oil, then use a dewaxed shellac as a barrier coat between the oil and the water based lacquer. i'll be keeping an eye on this, as it has piqued my curiosity.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Thanks guys, will do a little more reading an be sure to save some scraps for testing. I was looking at the Target EM1000 sealer and EM6000 semi gloss finish, wasn't sure how they'd do in a bathroom/humid setting. Great tip on the tinting Jim!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

jim pretty much nailed with water base but he hasnt converted me yet for my view it's shellac seal coat that will bring out the figure and then the mlcambell lacquer over that.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

For me it's not about toneing the finish to make it look like something it's not. WB finished just give a lookIf plastic there is morning you can do to the finish to hide that look.it all comes down to what look you like.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Darren, I won't talk to the finish since enough was said above. That said, I have that gun and it isn't too bad for the money. Now it is nowhere near the quality of my HVLP Binks, but I got the HF gun first and have used it to finish several pieces.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

when i finished the grandfather clock and the coffee table, i went with a 123 finish. one coat of blo, 2 coats of amber shellac, and 3 coats of clear shellac.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking