Micrometer Level Measurements

Jim Young

While flipping through my latest issue of Wood I found a little writeup on how to make a fixture to mount a micrometer so you can measure the height of your TS blade. Since they are mearsuring the height this implies to me that they are intending to make a hidden cut, not cutting to length. So my question is dies anyone here require that type of precision on their cuts? I just can't imagine the need for a micrometer, 1/1000ths of an inch accuracy. My lumber probably swells more that that during the day.

[size=+1]A year or so ago one of the magazines had a plan/writeup using a cheap digital caliper in a shop-made fixture - sort of an upside down "Y" affair - for use as a blade height guage. I made one using a $7.00 (on sale) Harbor Freight caliper, and have found it to be very useful.

The HF caliper, being a cheapie, only reads to hundredths of an inch, but that's pretty good for setting the depth of dadoes or other non-thru cuts.

I also have found the guage to be very useful on the router table as well.[/size]