Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New 'Shop' Build

New 'Shop' Build

When the guys on the West Coast Tour de Wood stopped by a couple of years ago, they saw how I had made a 16' cargo trailer into a woodworking machine tool 'room.' Well, that trailer sans the tools (which had already been moved here into a large garage), is due to arrive this weekend from Arizona. After I get the stuff out of it, I want to again make a 'shop' out of it. But a much different shop.

This one will be towed behind the motorhome when moving from one locale to another. Likely it will be parked in an RV park most of the time, maybe powered by the motorhome generator. Length of stay expected to be 12-18 months before moving on.

Wanna help?

The trailer is wired for 120V, lights and circuits on separate breakers. It has a drop down ramp in the rear. When it is on the road, it has to garage my ground transportation, i.e., car and/or motorcycle. So all items will be on wheels to bundle to make room. Weight limit will be 5,000 pounds, including vehicles. Gotta work in that envelope.

Wood working will change to small items, not large furniture. I am thinking boxes and bowls.

Lathe will be prominent. Requires band saw, drill press, sharpening gear, and DC. Would like to keep 16-32 Performax, DW733 planer, and Hitachi 10" SCMS on a Rigid stand. Table saw to be replaced with 120V site saw. Now have 220V 1023 Grizzly. The kicker is that the lathe is a Jet 1632 220V. May have to change that. DC is currently a small Ridgid shop vac with a Dust Deputy on a 15 gallon drum. I have three workbenches. Likely will opt for the one on the HF scissors table. Router Table is currently in the TS outfeed - PB 7518 in a Jessem lift. Need to find another place for it.

Also have 2 Grizzly stacked tool boxes. And 2 four drawer file cabinets are available. Would like to continue to use them as well.

Things on the storage/selling block include the Jet belt sander, the DeWalt RAS, the Grizzly drum sander, the Grizzly 1023 TS, the Craftsman 6" cast iron jointer, the HF shop crane, the HF electric hoist, and likely the Jet 1632 lathe.

The TS, lathe, belt and drum sanders need to be replaced. Thinking job site TS, midie lathe w/VS & reverse capabilities, and Ridge benchtop drum/belt sander.

I expect to build cabinets for tool storage while I still have the big shop here. Need some wood storage ideas. What about stacking tools like the DeWalt planer & Performax sander?

Your thoughts of things to consider? Remember, think building small items. Think diminished physical capabilities with regard to weights and wrestling sizes. Think availability of power sources. And whatever else. Remember also large Class A motorhome with basement storage, say one pass through storage bin allowed for WW 'stuff.' Maybe for the SCMS and TS on a stand? And some wood storage.

I will be keeping a journal. Thanks for your help. More heads are better than one.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Even with the purging that'll be a lot in the trailer.
    Like Steve said...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Is a cargo trailer capable of hauling a car? I think they are 8" narrower than a car trailer and is the door/ramp strong enough? Also most cars will fill up 16' real fast. Not trying to spend your money Carol, but I would look at a 24' car trailer and trade your cargo trailer in on it. What a cool interesting change you are taking on, best of luck how ever it goes

This cargo trailer is up to the car hauling task. Even has the built-in tie downs in the floor. The car will become a very mini-car. Think Smart-Car. 9 feet long. Motorcycle will go away. Or double tow with car on car dolly. Have to stay under 65 feet overall and some states may get their knickers in a knot over two trailers being towed, but I expect to stay in the Southwest, so that may be an non-issue.

So many possibilities, including a new trailer. I have a 16' and a 20' (can't haul car in that one. I also have an open 8'. Gonna have to reduce the fleet.

Thanks, Tom. That is just the sort of input I was hoping for.

And share the popcorn!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Carol Reed

What size is the motorhome? You can do like commercial contractors i work with and store some of the tools and extras under the motorhome till they get to the site. Then once at the site, car comes out and and tools go in. Keep us updated when you start to travel. I might run into you at some of the rv parks as I travel around the south for work.

Good thought, Al. The motorhome is scheduled to be a 38' Class A diesel pusher. Looking at it next week. But I am limited to what I can pick up or tow on wheels. And, for the record, I don't plan to 'travel' in the usual RV sense. I plan to live in an RV as I work temporary jobs in AZ & NV, for now.
    ++++++

Carol Reed

Lose the motorcycle, and get a scooter, they are small lightweight and very good cheap transport, you can easily haul one on a carrier on the back of the RV.

The rest of the trailer thing? Boy that is a job I could sink my teeth into Think vertically, not just horizontally, use all the space in your rolling shop.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Carol,

I am an avid non-traveler so I am no help to you that way. I do wish you the very best in this exciting venture.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Length of stay expected to be 12-18 months before moving on.

Wanna help?
    [......]
    The trailer is wired for 120V, lights and circuits on separate breakers. It has a drop down ramp in the rear. When it is on the road, it has to garage my ground transportation, i.e., car and/or motorcycle. So all items will be on wheels to bundle to make room. Weight limit will be 5,000 pounds, including vehicles. Gotta work in that envelope.

Carol, it seems to me that the biggest challenge here is your requirement to fit the car into the trailer when you're on the road.

But if I am reading your comment correctly, 99.9% of the time the RV/trailer is going to be parked somewhere, and it will only be moved when you are moving locations. You don't expect to live "on the road", do you?

If that is true, then I have two suggestions...
    1- get a motorcycle trailer for the car. When it is time to move, drive the car + motorcycle on trailer to new location. Then drive the motorcycle back and get the RV + trailer.

-OR-
    2- just find a friend (or hire a high school kid from your current church) to drive the car for you between locations while you move the RV+trailer.

Seems like it would *vastly* simplify this whole thing if you did not try to fit the car into the trailer. It saves all the contortions you'd have to go through tying it down, moving all your woodworking stuff and tying *it* down so it doesn't smash the car, not being able to have any permanent cabinets along the wall, saves an extra few thousand pounds in towing capacity w/out the car inside there, wipes out any thought of buying a new trailer, and so on and so on.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood