New 'Shop' Build

Marathon day! This was 16 hours of driving and a couple of hours of palavering. No money changed hands. More information needed. Leaning towards it though. Will know more after tomorrow.

No creeper. Coach was on gravel. Did it the old fashioned way - crawled. Getting too old for this stuff! The seller is a slick ol' boy - maybe too slick. Jury is still out.

@Larry re: wages and ages. Fact is, the older you are the less you will work for. The youth, the unemployed, and the under employed are not interested in honest work. Its too much like, well, work! The youth make withdrawals from the Bank of Mom & Dad. There is no pay back plan. The unemployed have so many programs and what nots to subsidize their sloth and they are masters at bilking them. They brag about it. The underemployed can't get past how much they used to make. They are stuck on big amounts in fell swoops, not little amounts that add up. Their consumption has yet to be adjusted to their new income.

Now I am just pooped and headed for bed. Came home with a toothache. Got it packed in whiskey soaked cotton. At least it tastes good!

The deed is done! I agreed to buy a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star 38' motorhome. Because of travel schedules and what not, I won't actually get it until Nov. 8 or there abouts. But the deal has been agreed to and machinations of rounding up the money and providing for insurance has begun.

Now back to the trailer. Because the above venture cost me slightly more than I had hoped, I need to recover before I can buy another trailer. Have to sell what I have first. So I will keep the 16' for now. It has already been wired. As soon as it is empty, I will paint the interior white and then the serious planning stuff begins. Meantime, I am working on a list of the tools I plan to put in it. Some, like the lathe, I will have to sell and get a 110V model. So, first up is the 1642 Jet Lathe, 2Hp 220V. I will get it on the classifieds later. My day is jammed - again!

Yeah, I know, no pictures, blah, blah, blah. Be patient and I will even try to show you her hula skirt.

Congrats Carol! Nothing like a capable adult with a plan. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new home. How far did you have to drive to find it? And how many miles are on it?

Congratulations Carol. I was wondering if you had managed to get it within budget. You have had me looking every now and then to see the availability of these units at your original estimate.

Glad its all moving forward for you.

I am curious are there extras you will have to do to this one or is it so clean it needs no shop work. They really look very neat inside. Great woodwork in the ones i have seen online. Hope you enjoy every minute of it. All the best with the plan.

Carol, I find this build quite interesting. I have a suggestion and I know it might be a bit off the wall but bear with me on this. I have been looking to build a teardrop trailer. These trailers are the subcompact of the camping world. They have a site much like ours that they talk about building, making and overall camping experience. This being said they also can pack things in, in some of these models things like bathrooms, kitchens, and sleeping all within a much smaller footprint that one could ever imagine. Maybe a post on their site might spark some ones interest and they take the ball and run with it and figure out how a car and woodworking equipment would ever be married together in the same trailer and yet be useable and functional. I hope you get this concept figured out and who know maybe some of us might see you rolling down the highway in the future.

Here's their link: http://www.tnttt.com/

OK, here are two shots, front and rear (to show her hula skirt). More pictures to come, if Ned is successful. Thank, Ned.

DS front1.jpg

hula skirt1.jpg

Little more than a teardrop, Ed!

Working on emptying the trailer. I am about half done. Since this will be a rolling Ft. Knox, I'm thinking about security.

Tool Trailer exterior1.jpg

Tell me about trailer hitch locks, wheel locks, etc. The trailer will spend copious amounts of time parked with other trailers in less than secure areas. In an RV park, it will not be next to the motorhome. My concerns are two. That someone busts into it, or someone simply drives off with it. :eek:

It is parked where I cannot give you a picture of the doors, but there are two; a 30" door with the typical RV type door lock, and a ramp in the rear with the semi-trailer type latches with padlocks. I thought to replace the existing padlocks with the wrap-around kind. The hitch uses a 2 5/16" ball and the hitch locks I have reviewed show that to be a problem with the typical hitch locks.

Need some real world experience here. Your thoughts?

Carol, I can't help with the locks, but I do have a comment. If it's thieves we're worried about, isn't the goal to make your unit harder to steal than the one next to it, rather than impossible to steal? Just a thought...I commend you though on your thoroughness of planning.

Thanks, Gary. I like those too. The reviews indicate they work well with smaller balls, but the reviews also say they are inadequate for the larger ball. Its a one-size philosophy where one-size is a huge compromise.

Last edited: