New 'Shop' Build

Sharpening Station Beginning

Here is my take on the WorkSharp mod.

I put the 'hood' on for a extended table as did Glen.

WorkSharp 1.jpg

And I added a drawer and more disks as did Stumpy.

WorkSharp 2.jpg

But it has to live with the 1" belt sander and a few other goodies. That is a General adjustable blade holder. Not as spiffy as a Lee Valley but then I already had it. It will handle a couple of timber framing slicks.

WorkSharp3.jpg

More to come with this. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
First call for help!

Here is a shot of the tow vehicle for the shop trailer project.

DS 1.jpg

First remodel project is the bedroom. It had a queen mattress and a foot walk around space. Too confining and there is only one of me, so I ordered a single mattress, albeit too short.

DS bedroom.jpg

That meant ripping out the storage space under the foot of the mattress and one of the side cabinets. Whats left is the engine cover which serves as the surface for the mattress. The cabinet was too high and will need remodeling to fit.

And that left me with an 'issue.'

Bedroom screw issue.jpg

What you see here is a bunch of screws that held the cabinet in. They were driven in before the coach was skinned. So I need to cut off the projection of the screws and then hide them somehow. They must be flush with the wall when all is said and done. They appear to be black drywall screws. They're hard, aren't they?

So what is your suggestions for cutting them flush and then what might you suggest to hide the evidence?

Angle grinder to cut them off. If you want to protect the wall some drill a matching hole in a piece of tin and hold that over them (maybe with double stick tape - you definitely want two hands on the grinder, I learned that one the hard way :eek:).

Then either re-skin with a new wall covering (is that wallpaper?) or put a trim piece along the all where the screws are. Hrmm... although the rub rail on the right complicates that a little as its not in line with the screws. Maybe a shallow wall cabinet to hold stuff you'd want by the bed (spare flashlight, toenail clippers) might be better?

Tow vehicle looks great. This may seem a crazy idea, but I think sheetrock screws snap pretty easily. I wonder if a sharp blow with a hammer from the side wouldn't snap them off pretty easily. A dremel with a thin blade might do a more subtle job than an angle grinder on what is left.

I wont add to the ideas but just curious Carol are you intent on gutting the whole thing and doing the interior over step by step. Or is it just the bedroom area. I can fully understand the space issue trying to get around a narrow strip next to a queen bed.

In my experience, drywall screws are pretty flimsy. I've snapped them with a hand screwdriver in a 2x4 before. Looking forward to this Carol! thanks for sharing when you have time to do so. :thumb:

Well, two snapped off. I need to get some cutoff wheels for my Dremel. To hide the evidence I plan to build a cubbie cabinet with lift lids under the mirror. The engine cover is 9" wider than the single mattress. The cubbie cabinet will be the length of the mattress so it will get into the corner and also cover the screws.

I don't plan to gut the whole MH, just make it more comfortable for me. This BR remodel makes that area must better. The cubbie cabinet will come later. Right now I have to remodel the drawer unit that was there to be lower to support the end of the mattress.I don't have time before the move in to do anything else. I do have to create an office area. Right now that will be the dining table.

The next two weeks will be nuts!

In my experience, drywall screws are pretty flimsy. I've snapped them with a hand screwdriver in a 2x4 before. Looking forward to this Carol! thanks for sharing when you have time to do so. :thumb:

Yeah I was mostly worried about doing more (visual) damage to the wall if they bent before breaking hence the suggestion for using a cutoff of some sort. I tend to use the angle grinder because .. well its like the hammer of metal working :D

Didn't get back to the screws or the remodel. Did start the dismantling of the shop though. Had two young guys or muscle, so I had to make hay while the sun was shining. Two thirds of the stationary tools are moved into the two trailers. Along with a bunch of boxes that need going though but not soon. House is mostly empty. Furniture will all be out by Wednesday.
Monday and Tuesday I will be packing boxes in the shop. I am certain there are some things I will never live long enough to see again! Right now the plan is get moved out of here. Like Rob's NN, this landlord turned into an ogre when I gave notice. Suddenly I became a 'problem' tenant who was out to fleece him in some way. All I did was offer to continue to rent the garage until he rented or sold the property. It would have given me time for a more orderly departure. He decided, however, that I just wanted the use of the property for much less money. I thought a little something coming in each month was better than nothing. But he had to question my integrity and accuse me of trying to bilk him. So now I am cramming stuff wherever it will fit and getting out. ASAP. I'll sort things out later.

Had two young fellows help today. They will be back next week and the shop should be completely empty and cleaned by next Sunday. The house will get a visit from a professional and be more spotless than when I moved in. Then I will have the same witnesses that found it for me and we will take pictures. I want my deposit back. Don't you just hate those with terminal jerkitis?

Last edited:
Moving on with the shop trailer.

Weight is a consideration. Do you think torsion box panels for cabinet sides would be strong enough to also support 200# tools? Example [but not limited to] a 200# band saw mounted to a 3 drawer cabinet on wheels. The bottom would be 3" wide 3/4 thick BB frame capturing a 1/4" BB panel. The frame has 3" wide members to support the wheels. The sides would be 1 1/2" BB 1/2" BB thick frame faced on both sides with 1/8" cheap paneling. The top would be solid 3/4" thick BB ply. The back would be 1/4" BB ply rabbeted into the back.

Yeah, I know. Draw a picture. :rolleyes:

Moving on with the shop trailer.

Weight is a consideration. Do you think torsion box panels for cabinet sides would be strong enough to also support 200# tools? Example [but not limited to] a 200# band saw mounted to a 3 drawer cabinet on wheels. The bottom would be 3" wide 3/4 thick BB frame capturing a 1/4" BB panel. The frame has 3" wide members to support the wheels. The sides would be 1 1/2" BB 1/2" BB thick frame faced on both sides with 1/8" cheap paneling. The top would be solid 3/4" thick BB ply. The back would be 1/4" BB ply rabbeted into the back.

Yeah, I know. Draw a picture. :rolleyes:

I would say yes based on my experiences, but I'm not a structural engineer :D

I wouldn't skimp to much on the interior ribbing and would probably have to lap jointed going both directions to prevent buckling for the panels.

Crossing my fingers. Going to see a trailer in Friday. 200 miles away. Gonna be a long day. Pictures look good, but can never tell. This one is a 23' Haulmark. Decent length and brand.

This has been a more frustrating process than I thought it would be. I am anxious to get started. I have doodled around some. Installing electrical is the first order of business.

Dang, I hope this is the one.

Crossing my fingers. Going to see a trailer in Friday. 200 miles away. Gonna be a long day. Pictures look good, but can never tell. This one is a 23' Haulmark. Decent length and brand.

This has been a more frustrating process than I thought it would be. I am anxious to get started. I have doodled around some. Installing electrical is the first order of business.

Dang, I hope this is the one.

Wishin ya luck Girl :crossed:

OK, I looked at 2 more trailers. Still a bust. The first one had a sprung ramp door. Daylight showed around all three edges when closed - by 3 inches on the top! The last one looked really great but the price rivaled a new one. When vents are installed - a must here in the Southwest - the price exceeded that of a new one. And that was before replacing the ten year old tires.

Trying not to buy a new one because of sales tax and registration costs.

Still looking. Got a ping out for one on CL in Arizona. Didn't think this would be so challenging.