Thread: the ad that led to the rust hunt

the ad that led to the rust hunt

so this was the ad:
    http://utica.craigslist.org/tld/3286217106.html

I've known of this mythical place for a few years, but never went until today. It's about 80 minutes away. Went with my friend David, who is getting pretty well into wwing. The outside of the place looked like a tool version of a car junkyard, with stuff piled all over. Once we went inside, it was mind boggling with stuff piled upon stuff, floor to ceiling, with barely a narrow path between more stuff.

The first items I asked about were priced silly high. 6x48" sanding belts for $4.89 each. I put them back. But David could use a LA block plane, and we found a black Stanley 60 1/2 for $12. OK, this is getting better.

By the time we were done, I found new old stock files, some still wrapped in packaging that looked like it was from a military supplier from WWII. Some rat tail files, including a rasp that looked like it might be hand cut. 2 Spofford Fray braces - 8" and 14", 2 Yankee 2100 braces - 8" and 10", a couple of Russell Jennings bits, and a couple of odd sockets I needed [S-K and Proto, no junk]. A beautiful Starrett round leg divider. A few more small items. All vintage USA made tools. They had all sorts of planes, which I restrained myself from [other than spotting the 60 1/2 for David] including a nice 45, with no irons. I didn't even ask about its price, I was afraid it would've jumped into David's truck. Cluttered doesn't come close to describing the place. The owner was pleasant enough, and was pretty on target with his pricing, but more than fair, and willing to negotiate - way better than the auction site. If you're ever within a couple of hours of Cobleskill, NY, it's worth a visit. And when the place is closed, if you call, they may open up for you. No heat in the winter though.

I'm coming down with a cold, and haven't taken any pics....yet.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

does he refill the stock ken or when its gone it done for?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Dunno, but from the looks of it, I bet he keeps getting more. He would do well to just sell stock for a while and not replenish, so it would be easier to find stuff. I had to shuffle through a bind of I don't know how many braces to find the ones I bought. Same with the files. And everything else.

Ken,

The Criag's list post got removed. Are you taking about Plash's on route 10 South of route 20 outside of Cobleskill? I have driven by that place many, many times but have never been inside. About 1/2 hour from my house. I could have met you there easily. Sounds like you had a good time.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Yes Don, Plash Tools. They are closed for the season now, no heat in the building. If it's only a half hour from you, it is worth the ride. The amount of old and NOS tools they have is mind-boggling. Next time I go - and it won't be for a long while, we can try to meet.

Ooo thanks for letting us know the name and where it is. I will save that one for my next trip to the US.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

I put Plash Tools & Surplus on my Google Maps in case I ever visit that area of the country again. Thanks for the heads up Ken.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Bill, if you ever make it to this region, I hope you'll put me on your list of stops too.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Bill, if you ever make it to this region, I hope you'll put me on your list of stops too.
    You are already on the map! I hope that you make it back to the West Coast, but north to my area someday.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Bill and Ken, having met both of you, I'd imagine the Neander talk between the two of you will go on long into the night if you ever do get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com