the ad that led to the rust hunt

ken werner

so this was the ad:
http://utica.craigslist.org/tld/3286217106.html

I've known of this mythical place for a few years, but never went until today. It's about 80 minutes away. Went with my friend David, who is getting pretty well into wwing. The outside of the place looked like a tool version of a car junkyard, with stuff piled all over. Once we went inside, it was mind boggling with stuff piled upon stuff, floor to ceiling, with barely a narrow path between more stuff.

The first items I asked about were priced silly high. 6x48" sanding belts for $4.89 each. I put them back. But David could use a LA block plane, and we found a black Stanley 60 1/2 for $12. OK, this is getting better.

By the time we were done, I found new old stock files, some still wrapped in packaging that looked like it was from a military supplier from WWII. Some rat tail files, including a rasp that looked like it might be hand cut. 2 Spofford Fray braces - 8" and 14", 2 Yankee 2100 braces - 8" and 10", a couple of Russell Jennings bits, and a couple of odd sockets I needed [S-K and Proto, no junk]. A beautiful Starrett round leg divider. A few more small items. All vintage USA made tools. They had all sorts of planes, which I restrained myself from [other than spotting the 60 1/2 for David] including a nice 45, with no irons. I didn't even ask about its price, I was afraid it would've jumped into David's truck. Cluttered doesn't come close to describing the place. The owner was pleasant enough, and was pretty on target with his pricing, but more than fair, and willing to negotiate - way better than the auction site. If you're ever within a couple of hours of Cobleskill, NY, it's worth a visit. And when the place is closed, if you call, they may open up for you. No heat in the winter though.

I'm coming down with a cold, and haven't taken any pics....yet.

Dunno, but from the looks of it, I bet he keeps getting more. He would do well to just sell stock for a while and not replenish, so it would be easier to find stuff. I had to shuffle through a bind of I don't know how many braces to find the ones I bought. Same with the files. And everything else.

Ken,

The Criag's list post got removed. Are you taking about Plash's on route 10 South of route 20 outside of Cobleskill? I have driven by that place many, many times but have never been inside. About 1/2 hour from my house. I could have met you there easily. Sounds like you had a good time.

Yes Don, Plash Tools. They are closed for the season now, no heat in the building. If it's only a half hour from you, it is worth the ride. The amount of old and NOS tools they have is mind-boggling. Next time I go - and it won't be for a long while, we can try to meet.

Bill and Ken, having met both of you, I'd imagine the Neander talk between the two of you will go on long into the night if you ever do get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk