Thread: Homemade Version of Center Finder?

Homemade Version of Center Finder?

Anyone ever made a home made version of a center finder like this
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Bullzeye-W.../dp/B004TK0JOO
    or something else that works?

That isn't so much a center finder as it is a blanks sizer Mike. You can cut rounds from Masonite, cardboard so on. With the wooden or cardboard ones...attach it to the blank and go right to the bandsaw!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Mike, that device (and thousands of others) are carefully designed...to remove dollar bills from your wallet. Beyond that, it does nothing you can't already do with a variety of other (free) methods. As Jim said, if you want circle shapes to use as a guide, cut several out from cardboard. Personally, I use a compass. I find the approximate center by eye, and draw a circle. If the circle isn't centered, I move the compass point accordingly and draw another circle. It doesn't have to be exact...your lathe will handle the "perfectly round" part for you.

The woodworking market is full of gadgets. Some are very handy, some are kind of useful, and some are junk. For the most part, what the gadgets do can be done without them. (And in some cases, it can be done more easily without the gadget.) Now I do have a lot of these gadgets myself, so I speak from experience here, but every once in a while it's good to remember that even in today's world with lasers and GPS and high tech everything, the finest brick walls are still built with just a piece of string and a bubble level.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Its kind of a cool idea though to just visually look at it and pick the most appealing center. Now that I think about it I have a piece of plexi sitting in my unused parts bin... somewhere over there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Its kind of a cool idea though to just visually look at it and pick the most appealing center...
    And that's right where I put the point of my compass.

workingwoods.com

I think either the Larson or woodstock centre finders linked to on the page might be better, and much less expensive.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Closest thing I have to a center finder is one of these, a hand-me-down from my granddad:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starrett Center Head.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	71005

It's handy for finding the approximate center of a large round blank. I've yet to need to find the center of a smaller round like that shown in the photo, though, since if I have round stock that size, I made it on the lathe, and the center is already located by the lathe.

For a square (or octagonal or hexagonal) blank, all you need is a straightedge. Even a plain ol' board will do if the edge is straight, so I don't need a $7.00 to $15.00 piece of plastic to tell me where the center is. It's not rocket surgery.

workingwoods.com

[Mike, that device (and thousands of others) are carefully designed...to remove dollar bills from your wallet. Beyond that, it does nothing you can't already do with a variety of other (free) methods.

Yep, couldnt agree more. Sorta like two guys standing outside and one says to the other If you give me $5 I tell you the sun is shining.

Its a gadget that is not needed when you can make one out of just about anything.I use an old engineers compass with a pencil taped to it.