NICE LITTLE JOB

Customer brought these 3 items in. They were in barn fresh shape. I told her they will look very nice. The iron needed welding and were rusted. The desk and chair were painted an old oil base baby blue.
Instead of stripping the table I used my cleaner to take the oild crap off the top and legs. Then added a hickory tone with MLC
20121001_121914.jpg20121001_121853.jpg20121018_140831.jpg20121018_140709.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Dave. :thumb:

I had an older desk like that when I was little, always thought the round indentation in the top was a cup holder for my sippy cup. ;)

I've also still got a nice scar on my forehead from crawling around under it and rubbing on a sharp edge.

Thanks everyone.
Darren, I figured it was a ink well. , cup holder works. Where are the old guys who sat in one of these ?

Who're you calling old??? :D In 1951-2-3, I learned to write with a steel nib dipped into an inkwell! Then, we moved on to a real fountain pen. I don't think I ever saw a ballpoint (in school) until I was in about the sixth grade.

In second and third grades, we had desks similar to the one in your pictures, but they were 'nested,' with the seat for one folding down from the front of the one behind it.

Jim I think this deal is a bit older then your schooling. I'll check on that tomorrow.

The desks I mentioned were probably somewhere between 25 and 50 years old when I used them. My Dad had gone to the same school (around 1920), and he said those desks weren't new then, either.

I'd bet that the one you have is somewhere around a hundred years old!

I use a cleaning solution I make up to remove old waxes , dirt trapped in shellac to rejuvenate the wood. Once it is dry I buff it and add my sealer and finish. Or if the piece is well enough to leave as is I will just re-polish it. The difference between Conservation and Preservation.

The customer picked up her pieces today and was Smilling ear to ear. She raved about it and said I have friends who need work done. Plus a whole hose of things that will be getting done.

I love it when a customer is Happy.