SCMS mobile cart redesign

Alan Bienlein

With the bed almost complete I'm thinking about my next project which is a redesign of my SCMS mobile cart. It's served me well but since I installed the cyclone and got the larger jointer it's been a hassle having to move tools just to extend the wings. Plus I need a storage space for my slot mortiser I just built.

So far this is what I've come up with. There will be dust collection under the chop saw and then two maybe three drawers under that. The right wing will have an extension that will be on a set of slides to give me extra support to the right if needed. The extension to the left of the saw will have a drawer in it along with a drawer right above the slot mortiser.

As for extending the fence of the SCMS i don't think I will be doing that. I'm going to either by some "T" track or route a "T" track in the top of the extensions. I've found that any time the cart is moved you need to realign the fences.

The other important change is that the top of the extension wings will be the same height as the table saw. That way I'll have a bit of support on longer pieces if needed when using the table saw.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
SCMS mobile cart (1149 x 627).jpg

Looks good, but rather than building up the top on the left side of the saw, make that part of the cabinet level with the table of the miter saw. The base under the miter saw I'd double the thickness and cantilever it over the right side and then build it up to match the miter saw table. By doubling the thickness you could probably get away without a gusset under that side to support the table extension.

Dan your a riot but I kind of like that Idea!:thumb: I've been thinking lately where I could put a small frig as I once had one in my old 10' x 14' shop.

I went back and reversed those faces Dave.

I think I like your Idea Darren with one change. I'll just lower the sides 3/4" and then I will double the right side extension to beef it up. That way I can keep the top a solid piece which will help with the over all integrity of the cabinet.

Man you killing me. I have not even got your previous version done yet. :) Got the bits and pieces just need to get er done. On my list as a priority now that i can do woodworking again.

Hey i dont get it. You built the first one with the fold down sides for space. I bought into that design even before i saw yours. Now you gonna cantilever the one whole side and what about the space beneath it. If thats gonna be permanent then i would do a Glenn Bradley stunt and put some storage or shop draws in there and make the whole footprint usable.

I can see scrap bin in the middle but then think of using that other space under the right hand side.

Oh Dan i like your fridge idea i just dont like the contents. :)

Man you killing me. I have not even got your previous version done yet. :) Got the bits and pieces just need to get er done. On my list as a priority now that i can do woodworking again.

Hey i dont get it. You built the first one with the fold down sides for space. I bought into that design even before i saw yours. Now you gonna cantilever the one whole side and what about the space beneath it. If thats gonna be permanent then i would do a Glenn Bradley stunt and put some storage or shop draws in there and make the whole footprint usable.

I can see scrap bin in the middle but then think of using that other space under the right hand side.

Oh Dan i like your fridge idea i just dont like the contents. :)

Well it's hard to believe but it's been 3-1/2 years since I built the fold down wing version. I'm redesigning due to changes that have occurred in my shop since thendue to the cyclone and lumber rack builds along with redoing the cabinets in my shop http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?26896-My-doghouse-the-wife-built-update.

Back then I wasn't using my space as efficiently as I am now and since I redid the cabinets in my shop even more space has opened up. I've found that most of the time I leave the wings extended and only fold down the left one if I need to cross cut something on the table saw that it will interfere with it. If you were closer Rob I would just give you the old mobile base.

I'm doing this because I want my work surfaces the same height as the table saw and right now the SCMS mobile cart doesn't fit that criteria.

I also need a place to store my slot mortiser. The space under the chop saw will be for drawers that hold small cut offs and the dust collection will also come in from under the saw instead of the back of it.

There's nothing wrong with the design. I just out grew the need for it due to the aforementioned changes. I also find I use it alot compared to alot of wood workers out there. For some reason they don't think they are accurate. Of course I also use a belt sander for panel flattening where 99.9% of all wood workers would scoff at that but then again they don't know how to properly use one either.

All I can say Rob is if my old design fits your style of wood working as in limited use of a SCMS then that is the one for you as it won't take up valuable rel estate.