Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Design #3

Shop Design #3

Well after lots of thinking and planning, I think I am where I want to be. Close anyways . I might be able to go a touch longer, not sure as I will get close to a filled area. Can't remember how much fill we put down, and don't want to push my luck, had enough trouble with the house moving. Basic size is 46x30. Would still need to figure out where to put a furnace on the inside, that could come once I got close.

As you can tell I stuffed it with just about anything and everything, plus extras. All the boxes are tools I either want or am planning on changing out to different model/ size. Trying to make sure I have room. Long term goal is a crawl space with wooden floors and 9 ft vaulted ceiling. All tools except for bench and miter area will be wheeled. Table saw and outfeed maybe stay in one area, once I know that area, then dust duct from below.

Now to take a little pressure off of Brent & Ned, this could be a while, long while. Got a couple kids that may decide on college .

Will try and get a aerial pic and show location of build.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_Pic0001.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	71109
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Looks like it will be a nice shop. I'd probably keep the furnace with the bathroom area and make a separate closet for the dust collector myself. Mostly to keep the mechanicals all in one area. Centralizing them may help save some costs as well. Dust collector would probably be best centralized some to shorten ducts to the most used equipment to give the best efficiency.

Where is the sheet good and wood storage going? Any plans for a finish area (even a screened area)?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Good points Darren, that's why I tossed it out.

As far as sheet and material storage, that will stay in the "old" shop. Won't be far at all. Finish will also be in old shop, for now.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

First thing I notice is no surface planer.

With the size of that shop I myself would have a place for material storage at least enough for the current project. Nothing worse than having to keep going to another building for one more piece of wood and to top it of have it raining when you need it.

Have you thought about window and door placement as far as cross ventilation for those nice days?

I really don't see a work flow to the layout?

I don't know if you've seen these two videos but he has alot of good ideas one of which is all the work surfaces of the tools at the same height. I'm incorporating that in my shop now and it's wonderful as I find I don't have to move tools around to run long pieces anymore.

Watched the videos again as I was typing this and at the end he says that when he goes in his shop he feels good in his shop due to the organization and since I started my shop remodel I know exactly what he's talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKSqjPuR1k4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfXl...feature=relmfu
    Last edited by Alan Bienlein; 10-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Planer is there, I forgot to mark it. Plan is to use my DW835. I don't have windows added to the plan, just doors for layout purpose.

Rough lumber may go high above the doors. Just a small stash of a couple variety's.

Keep it coming, this is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Now to take a little pressure off of Brent & Ned, this could be a while, long while. Got a couple kids that may decide on college .
    I think I will still put my money on you Steve.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

DC ducting: Overhead, or under the floor?

How high is the ceiling?

For heat, how about a radiant heater at each end. (Natural gas or propane?) That way, no ducting is needed. I have one open radiant heater in my 26 X 32 shop, and it keeps it nice and warm all winter.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

2 dust duct lines under floor, 1 tablesaw & 1 jointer. Some of the duct will be over head.

Ceiling will be 9-0 at the least, maybe 10-0. Vaulted either way. HVAC ducting will be overhead as well. We have LP gas at house, so I will need to find another tank for shop area.

Shop heat get one of these they are amazing http://www.easyradiantworks.com/ezdoz.htm. Mine is being stored right now for next shop but when i had it in my old shop it was a delight and never dried out the air or made it stuffy also explosion proof and under $1000 and insurance approved.
    cheers

Ah the dream shop

If you turn green wood, having the lathe in a section you can curtain off (think overhead pipe with long shower curtains) is pretty nice. This seems to me to work slightly better in a corner.

I assume you're planning to pull the DP out when you need to use it for longer pieces? I sort of do that and its a bit of a pita, would prefer unfettered access.

imho the space on the left of your outfeed is a lot of wasted space, I'd probably move the assembly table there with a nice wide walkway in the middle. That way you can use the space under the outfeed for other parts and pieces used during assembly. In general I'd say you're under utilizing the central space and putting to many tools on the walls. One thing I've found (mostly because I do it very poorly so feel the pain) is having the tools close to where you want to use them makes a HUGE difference in how pleasant the shop is to work in. A fellow who lives down the road from me a ways is an ex-pro cabinet maker and his shop is quite small but a real joy to work in because everything is right where you'd want to reach for it. Spreading things out to far is tempting in a large shop but having been in his shop some I think I'd be tempted to go more towards "activity clusters" and group tools and benches around that.

Also consider doing tool clusters (yet-another-reason), so you can have more centralized ducting drops. I don't have any specific ideas on layout (get some graph paper and make cutouts is what I do - faster for me than trying to move models in sketchup - I save that for later, but its always oh darn resized and what plane am I on anyway?). You have stuff on both walls and in the middle which adds a lot of ductwork. If you moved the BS's or the jointer to the offside of the table saw you could shuffle to get all of the power tools on one wall and the middle I think. I can see having a wall with the CMS on it, but would try to consolidate that some.

Personally I'd want one wide door (even a nice double door would do it) and would plan at least some of my layout around that since thats where things come in and go out. I'd also look at where the windows are going to go, a lot of people like north windows because of indirect light (made sense once I thought about it for a while) and try to layout my hand work areas around that some. I've gotten so I like working in the dark a lot less as years go on