Shop Design #3

Well after lots of thinking and planning, I think I am where I want to be. Close anyways :rolleyes:. I might be able to go a touch longer, not sure as I will get close to a filled area. Can't remember how much fill we put down, and don't want to push my luck, had enough trouble with the house moving. Basic size is 46x30. Would still need to figure out where to put a furnace on the inside, that could come once I got close.

As you can tell I stuffed it with just about anything and everything, plus extras. All the boxes are tools I either want or am planning on changing out to different model/ size. Trying to make sure I have room. Long term goal is a crawl space with wooden floors and 9 ft vaulted ceiling. All tools except for bench and miter area will be wheeled. Table saw and outfeed maybe stay in one area, once I know that area, then dust duct from below.

Now to take a little pressure off of Brent & Ned, this could be a while, long while. Got a couple kids that may decide on college :eek:.

Will try and get a aerial pic and show location of build.

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Looks like it will be a nice shop. I'd probably keep the furnace with the bathroom area and make a separate closet for the dust collector myself. Mostly to keep the mechanicals all in one area. Centralizing them may help save some costs as well. Dust collector would probably be best centralized some to shorten ducts to the most used equipment to give the best efficiency.

Where is the sheet good and wood storage going? Any plans for a finish area (even a screened area)?

Good points Darren, that's why I tossed it out.

As far as sheet and material storage, that will stay in the "old" shop. Won't be far at all. Finish will also be in old shop, for now.

First thing I notice is no surface planer.

With the size of that shop I myself would have a place for material storage at least enough for the current project. Nothing worse than having to keep going to another building for one more piece of wood and to top it of have it raining when you need it.

Have you thought about window and door placement as far as cross ventilation for those nice days?

I really don't see a work flow to the layout?

I don't know if you've seen these two videos but he has alot of good ideas one of which is all the work surfaces of the tools at the same height. I'm incorporating that in my shop now and it's wonderful as I find I don't have to move tools around to run long pieces anymore.

Watched the videos again as I was typing this and at the end he says that when he goes in his shop he feels good in his shop due to the organization and since I started my shop remodel I know exactly what he's talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKSqjPuR1k4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfXlnGoT6U&feature=relmfu

Last edited:
Planer is there, I forgot to mark it. Plan is to use my DW835. I don't have windows added to the plan, just doors for layout purpose.

Rough lumber may go high above the doors. Just a small stash of a couple variety's.

Keep it coming, this is helping.

DC ducting: Overhead, or under the floor?

How high is the ceiling?

For heat, how about a radiant heater at each end. (Natural gas or propane?) That way, no ducting is needed. I have one open radiant heater in my 26 X 32 shop, and it keeps it nice and warm all winter.

2 dust duct lines under floor, 1 tablesaw & 1 jointer. Some of the duct will be over head.

Ceiling will be 9-0 at the least, maybe 10-0. Vaulted either way. HVAC ducting will be overhead as well. We have LP gas at house, so I will need to find another tank for shop area.

Ah the dream shop :D

If you turn green wood, having the lathe in a section you can curtain off (think overhead pipe with long shower curtains) is pretty nice. This seems to me to work slightly better in a corner.

I assume you're planning to pull the DP out when you need to use it for longer pieces? I sort of do that and its a bit of a pita, would prefer unfettered access.

imho the space on the left of your outfeed is a lot of wasted space, I'd probably move the assembly table there with a nice wide walkway in the middle. That way you can use the space under the outfeed for other parts and pieces used during assembly. In general I'd say you're under utilizing the central space and putting to many tools on the walls. One thing I've found (mostly because I do it very poorly so feel the pain) is having the tools close to where you want to use them makes a HUGE difference in how pleasant the shop is to work in. A fellow who lives down the road from me a ways is an ex-pro cabinet maker and his shop is quite small but a real joy to work in because everything is right where you'd want to reach for it. Spreading things out to far is tempting in a large shop but having been in his shop some I think I'd be tempted to go more towards "activity clusters" and group tools and benches around that.

Also consider doing tool clusters (yet-another-reason), so you can have more centralized ducting drops. I don't have any specific ideas on layout (get some graph paper and make cutouts is what I do - faster for me than trying to move models in sketchup - I save that for later, but its always oh darn resized and what plane am I on anyway?). You have stuff on both walls and in the middle which adds a lot of ductwork. If you moved the BS's or the jointer to the offside of the table saw you could shuffle to get all of the power tools on one wall and the middle I think. I can see having a wall with the CMS on it, but would try to consolidate that some.

Personally I'd want one wide door (even a nice double door would do it) and would plan at least some of my layout around that since thats where things come in and go out. I'd also look at where the windows are going to go, a lot of people like north windows because of indirect light (made sense once I thought about it for a while) and try to layout my hand work areas around that some. I've gotten so I like working in the dark a lot less as years go on :eek:

Hi,

That is a real dream area for a shop; I wish I had the same.

DO PUT THE DUST COLLECTOR OUTSIDE!!! Did I emphasize that enough or should I use 72 colored type? The noise of a real dust collector just grinds into your very being---coral it outside of the shop. If you don't, I will guarantee that you will not use it all of the time that you should.

My DC is in an attached (to the shop) room built just for it and incidental storage. I would have to be in a desperate situation before I would bring it inside. The rafters for my shop are at 9' 6". This has always seemed to be satisfactory (just satisfactory). Looking at the ad for the EZ Duzzit is changing my mind. That system sounds great. However it needs 15" of vertical space. That space has things running through it (Garage door openers), overhead dust collection ducting, five 8-foot long fluorescent luminaires, four 4-foot long fluorescent luminaires).

Suddenly I am very interested in the rafters being a lot higher.

I have not had any success with finding a satisfactory way to heat my shop. I do have one of the $55.00 Lee Valley electric radiant heaters and an electric floor radiant heater. They actually make the shop quite liveable. However, it takes them an hour or two to do the job. I usually don't know when I am going to be able to work in the shop. There is a family situation that takes quite a bit of time and it is not something that can be scheduled. So what happens is that I don't go out to the shop a lot of times because I have terrible tolerance for cold.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
I grew up around Dad's shop having the jointer to the right of the table-saw In my shop because of it being a small space the jointer was to the left of the table-saw & it worked out quite well. I just pivoted the front table out from the table-saw & went to work. In that position I could joint 8' long material. This arraignment eliminated moving material very far from machine to machine.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 046.jpg
    A1 myshop 046.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 50
My shop is not ideal and it is still evolving. I like my machines clustered in the middle of the shop not stuck against the walls. Except like RAS or drill press which needs a wall. Also, I like my assembly table so I can walk all the way around it. Some old pictures, I am in the process of installing my dust collector, 5Hp Clear Vue. My planer is outside, under roof, on rollers. It puts out so many chips I just use a scoop shovel and garden cart to remove.

5x7' assembly table.
DSC_0108.jpg

Jointer, shaper, tables saw kind of back to back, they kind of share the same dead space so they take up less room. And no matter how large your shop you will fill it up.
DSC_0756.jpg

I made my own four foot doors (2) nothing fancy.
DSC_0755.jpg

I will try to get some updated pictures. I like looking at "shop tours" it has given me some good ideas.

Last edited:
I have not had any success with finding a satisfactory way to heat my shop. ... what happens is that I don't go out to the shop a lot of times because I have terrible tolerance for cold.

Jim... you live in Southern California. I was going to make a joke here, but then I checked the forecast for oceanside and your forecast highs are "only" in the 12-15c area. That is still tons warmer than the -3c I've got (with 4+ inches of snow), but admittedly not shirtsleeve weather, especially with the evening lows.

My shop is not ideal and it is still evolving.

Brian, those are some awesome photos. They deserve their own thread. You could get the mods to make that happen if you like.
(that is some serious steel in that assembly table!)

I really don't see a work flow to the layout?

I'm kind of thinking along Alan's line also... What is your current shop situation? How big, how is it laid out, how do you use it? (you don't need to tell us, as long as you're considering it.)

For instance, If I had your (planned) space, I'd want the assembly table out in the open so that I could walk around all sides. Also, it seems like the Router Table is WAY away from the action. I wonder about pulling your TS+outfeed station closer to a wall or corner. It seems kind of far away from things right now. I often move things from a bench/table to the TS and back, so that would work for me. And if you did that it would open up some space for that Assembly table I mentioned (with clamps underneath or nearby)

I'm not sure what those 4 boxes by the Router table are supposed to be; Ditto for the "Expand W. Table" nearby?

have fun, post pictures!
...art

Brian nice shop. And I even know where Milltown, Indiana is so that's a plus:thumb:

As far as boxes and what not's in my plan, I just wouldn't make sense, unless you lived in my world. Basically I thought of anything and everything I could ever stuff in a shop and seen if it would fit.

+1 on putting my money on Steve:thumb::rofl:
If I was doing this I would steer clear of dust collection under floor. 1 If it plugs down there who's going crawling with the snakes. Yup you are :rofl: 2 If you get it all set up and ready to go, work in it for a month and realize that the TS should be 4 feet further ahead now you have a hole to stand in/fix in the floor. Same with elec bring it all down from the ceiling. Way eraser to move fix on a ladder than on your back in the mud. Wheels on machines do not care for fixed floors much. Might want to push the ceiling up mine are 11 foot and I still hit the ceiling fan from time to time. Oppsss :doh: Use lay right after painting something so all the dust on it falls into the fresh paint.:doh:

Going back thru this thread and reading the proposed size I fail to see the reason for storing materials off site? I did my kitchen in a 24 x 24 shop. I stored the materials and cut and assembled the cabinets in that shop. You will have over twice the square footage I have. Am I missing something here?

I would just use the old shop for finishing. Nothing else.

If I had the space you propose to build I wouldn't need to store my materials like I have. I could actually build a rack to store my sheet goods flat instead of vertical against the walls behind the machines.

I think you really need to sit down and think about how you work and what you build and design from there.