Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shop intercom?

shop intercom?

I've finally been able to spend some good time out in my shop lately. It's been great (photos to come later). However it has caused an "issue" here at home. When I'm needed inside the house my wife has to come out to the shop to get me. Does anyone use an intercom system for communication between the house and shop. I'm detecting a little "issue" with this. Especially when it raining, so I think I need something to make it easier to communicate without her having to go outside. I'm thinking of a simple wireless doorbell system.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Cellphone perhaps?

I use a wireless system Tom, just plug one in the house and one in the shop.....just as long as your shop is wired to the household wiring. Cell phones work also

Here is one, I have something close. As long as shop and house are on the same electric transformer it works.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=4089621
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Tom in keeping with keeping the cost down and the aspect of noise causing any audible thing to not be heard adding to the aggravation of the person trying to get your attention, If you can why not simply mount a bulb of some sort of color go with blue like the cops and then route a few feet of flex cord into the house to a switch which can be used to turn the blue light on or off.

That way the blue light can be set on and left on and when you look up or around or whatever you see its on call. When you go back inside reset the switch to off and you good to go next time.

Cost is minimal and no sophistication to go wrong. Pretty clear when light is on get ass in gear and come inside. Mount it at a height that takes into consideration small kids playing fool with you or alternatively if they aint an issue in your house mount it low so one could get to it in an emergency.
    cheers

Something else I just thought of, check the local yard sales and pick up a baby monitor. Same basic principle.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    When I'm needed inside the house my wife has to come out to the shop to get me. Does anyone use an intercom system for communication between the house and shop.
    As for myself, I would welcome the isolation as I noticed that my wife has a different idea of "needed" than I do. You may live to regret getting that intercom!
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

We have a four station wireless model, from Radio Shack.

1. in shop
    2. in her sewing studio
    3. in home office, and
    4. in living room.

They work quite well. We've had them for about five years. They were around $59.95 when we bought them. Probably more now (like everything else is...).
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Tom...we bought a Uniden cordless phone. It wasn't expensive and we bought it at Costco. It came with the base station, 3 phones and 2 remote charging base stations. It has a built in intercom system. I have one charger and phone in my standalone shop. I can answer the phone and my wife can use the intercom between the shop phone and either of the other two cordless phones in the house.
    Ken
    ------

OH BOY! Now don't go find an easy simple solution to this. My wife has been after me for years to put an intercom in the workshop in basement and one in our garage. I've argued I would ab very expensive and I'd have to tear out walls do run wires, and all sorts of things, including if I work and concentrating on something and all of a sudden there is a voice speaking, I will JUMP and wreck something or get hurt! . Do you really want to interrupt your good shop time that easy?? I say if they have to come and get you, it well be for something important.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 10-20-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    "We the People ......"