Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vertical display for craft show vases

vertical display for craft show vases

this go round i will be getting a 5 foot round table for the stuff i intend to sell. i figured that since i will be losing a bit of horizontal, i would go vertical. since the table is round, so will be the display. it will be made of mdf, and spray painted black. i figured the black base will highlight the ambrosia maple that much more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vase display.jpg   vase display.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

That'll look nice! Have you thought about having it slowly rotate as well?
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Good idea Dan and +1 on making it rotate slowly or at least the top layer.
    cheers

sorry, out of rotators, it will have to be a static display. one reason for this, is that more than likely we will be placed in the central part of the room.
    benedictione omnes bene

I have several display turntables for my booth setup, and would say they've been worth every penny. Just the mere fact of having some movement in the booth catches people's eyes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

i like the idea of having it rotate, but right now it's a low budget, short lead time solution.
    benedictione omnes bene

after finishing up the other 3 pepper mills, i started the cutting of the display. i started by cutting out the circular shelves. then i laid out one of the supports, cut it, then based the second support on this one. then i checked the fit of the supports, then with the shelves. then i went on to seeing how it would look with the vases in place. good thing i did, i'm going to use that top shelf for the sign.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first round cut.jpg   shelves cut.jpg   first part of support laid out.jpg   first part of support cut.jpg   second part of support cut.jpg  

support assembled.jpg   support and shelves.jpg   display with vases.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Dan,

That really looks great.

Are you going to use a flat black to offset the shine of the wood? Or, are you going to go with a gloss to match the gloss and use the light color of the wood to make the turnings stand out?

I am another one voting for slowly rotating when/if you can in the future. I would judge 1 to 3 rpm...give them time to look at any one piece. Pique their curiosity as the next turnings come into view. They have feet; they can move a bit if they want so see it a little faster.

If there was, say a 5/8", shaft up through the center, with a large pulley (even a plywood disk with a groove) on the bottom with a belt going to a motor (sitting shaft straight up) with a small pulley you could probably make the unit quite inexpensively. Ideas: old washing machine motor, small pulley on motor from whatever (or give up and buy one), Old washing machines had a fairly large pulley on them; think junk yard, appliance dealer junk, make your own of laminated wood with 1/2 round or "V" groove large pulley???? Remember, think outside of the box.

Your library will have a reference book or so showing how to compute speeds using different size pulleys. Or, as Glenn is always telling me, "Google is your friend." If you cannot find the info elsewhere, try the reference section of the library or where they have "reference" type catalogs for rigging, or other applications that use pulleys.

Enjoy,

JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 10-24-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

you got it jim, i will be using a flat black paint. i figure with the shine of the vases against the flat black will work out ok. as far as revolving, that will have to wait for the mk 2 version of this. we will be more or less in the middle of the room. this is just a quick and dirty, until a better idea comes along.
    benedictione omnes bene

That looks great Dan!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website