vertical display for craft show vases

Dan Noren

Staff member
this go round i will be getting a 5 foot round table for the stuff i intend to sell. i figured that since i will be losing a bit of horizontal, i would go vertical. since the table is round, so will be the display. it will be made of mdf, and spray painted black. i figured the black base will highlight the ambrosia maple that much more.

Attachments

• vase display.jpg
    vase display.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 35
  • vase display.jpg
    vase display.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 31
after finishing up the other 3 pepper mills, i started the cutting of the display. i started by cutting out the circular shelves. then i laid out one of the supports, cut it, then based the second support on this one. then i checked the fit of the supports, then with the shelves. then i went on to seeing how it would look with the vases in place. good thing i did, i'm going to use that top shelf for the sign.

Attachments

• display with vases.jpg
    display with vases.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 18
  • first part of support cut.jpg
    first part of support cut.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 12
  • first round cut.jpg
    first round cut.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 11
  • first part of support laid out.jpg
    first part of support laid out.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 12
  • second part of support cut.jpg
    second part of support cut.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
  • shelves cut.jpg
    shelves cut.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 12
  • support and shelves.jpg
    support and shelves.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 13
  • support assembled.jpg
    support assembled.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 13
Dan,

That really looks great.

Are you going to use a flat black to offset the shine of the wood? Or, are you going to go with a gloss to match the gloss and use the light color of the wood to make the turnings stand out?

I am another one voting for slowly rotating when/if you can in the future. I would judge 1 to 3 rpm...give them time to look at any one piece. Pique their curiosity as the next turnings come into view. They have feet; they can move a bit if they want so see it a little faster.

If there was, say a 5/8", shaft up through the center, with a large pulley (even a plywood disk with a groove) on the bottom with a belt going to a motor (sitting shaft straight up) with a small pulley you could probably make the unit quite inexpensively. Ideas: old washing machine motor, small pulley on motor from whatever (or give up and buy one), Old washing machines had a fairly large pulley on them; think junk yard, appliance dealer junk, make your own of laminated wood with 1/2 round or "V" groove large pulley???? Remember, think outside of the box.

Your library will have a reference book or so showing how to compute speeds using different size pulleys. Or, as Glenn is always telling me, "Google is your friend." If you cannot find the info elsewhere, try the reference section of the library or where they have "reference" type catalogs for rigging, or other applications that use pulleys.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
you got it jim, i will be using a flat black paint. i figure with the shine of the vases against the flat black will work out ok. as far as revolving, that will have to wait for the mk 2 version of this. we will be more or less in the middle of the room. this is just a quick and dirty, until a better idea comes along.

...If there was, say a 5/8", shaft up through the center, with a large pulley (even a plywood disk with a groove) on the bottom with a belt going to a motor (sitting shaft straight up) with a small pulley you could probably make the unit quite inexpensively. Ideas: old washing machine motor, small pulley on motor from whatever (or give up and buy one), Old washing machines had a fairly large pulley on them; think junk yard, appliance dealer junk, make your own of laminated wood with 1/2 round or "V" groove large pulley???? Remember, think outside of the box...

That's a lot of work when you can buy a display turntable that runs for days on a single D-cell battery for about $20 to $25. :D

Also, your suggestion to go to the library made me smile. I'm with Glenn...that kind of info can be found on Google before you'd even have the seat belt fastened for the trip to the library.

Semi-related story: My nephew's girlfriend Courtney has started doing housecleaning work for my dad. Instead of giving her a key, Dad suggested that she program the garage door remote that's built into her car to open his door. She didn't have the owner's manual for her car, but since her car is similar to my dad's, he went inside to get his manual for her to use. By the time he went in the house, grabbed the manual, and returned outside, Courtney had looked up the procedure on Google via her phone, and had her car already programmed. :D

another good reason to bring my nephew!:D funny thing is chuck, it will be going in the middle of the table. now all i need is a pic with all the vases in place.

Last edited: