Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This job is not for me.

This job is not for me.

Pretty scary if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYZZ...feature=g-vrec

This may have been posted on here before.
    Last edited by Tom Baugues; 10-22-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

wow.... never mind the job, the video is pretty intense... especially with the free climb section when they go 'outside'...
    -Ned

That video hit the web a couple of years ago, and was pulled from YouTube very shortly afterward. It seems there was enough outcry about the apparent lack of safety measures that the TheOLE.org group pulled it down. (I snagged a copy for myself before they yanked it.) Personally, I understand the reasoning behind free-climbing the tower. I can see how staying roped in for the entire climb could lead to fatigue, which would make the whole thing that much more unsafe.

It's a great video, though. As someone who has had a lifelong fear of heights, my palms start to sweat every time I watch it. I think the part that gets me the worst is when the two of them are standing on the little platform at the top. I get dizzy just thinking about it. The 30+ pounds of tools he takes up there with him pales in comparison to the huge brass orbs between his legs. I'll bet those guys clang when they walk.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Heh good times. I have a few memorable tower climb stories (memorable to me, and if I don't tell them every so often I'll likely forget!)

About 10 years ago (sheesh has it really been that long!!) I was working for a startup doing some pretty nifty wireless technology (the startup failed, but the technology was good). For test deployments we had a spot a good ways up a 160' tower and a few shorter towers/buildings. Now I certainly do realize that 160' isn't nearly as tall as this is but... we would routinely free climb it and then rappel down. After you get over about 30-40' it didn't seem to matter much, its just tall. Was the only job where I've ever actually been paid to rappel and write code though

The worst really is at the top when there is nothing above you... Nothing to get ahold of.

I was volunteered to help put the generator on top of my grandpas windmill (has to be over 20 years ago now although I can't recall exactly). This involved climbing to the top and then bolting on a crane, guiding the motor into place and then bolting it down. The tower was only about 35' high but it was on top of a 200'+ very steep hill so was basically 235' of "down". Not to bad so far.. then came the blades Hauling them up wasn't to bad, but to bolt them on I had to sit astraddle the motor and lean waaaaaay out over and down to get at them. First one was pretty good since it was blade down, second one not to bad since it went mostly blade down once I got a bolt in it.. The third one had to be started blade up (these are a good 10'+ long) which involved some amusing tie offs to the crane and holding it in place while half upside down. Was a little nerve wracking (yes I was tied on, but it still feels wrong to let go )

Oh yeah, if you're in this sort of a situation DO NOT drop a screwdriver, they really get up to speed on the way down. I had one just miss me; hit the ground with a nice THUNK.

this reminded me of the tower that collapsed in shoreview mn in 1971. 1200 and some odd feet tall, almost finished when it collapsed. the wife of one of the workers killed (6 on the tower, 1 on the ground), was a customer at my dad's store. they wound up building 2 smaller towers instead.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I've tried to watch it several times before. I can only get about half way through before I turn it off

I can hardly drive over some bridges. There are a few that I just can't drive over no matter what. I have had to have someone drive me over the Chesapeake Bay bridge several times.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I've tried to watch it several times before. I can only get about half way through before I turn it off

I can hardly drive over some bridges. There are a few that I just can't drive over no matter what. I have had to have someone drive me over the Chesapeake Bay bridge several times.
    I understand whay you mean. I don't have enough hands to get on a 6" ladder.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Not for me, I crawl around when I get up on my roof!
    "We the People ......"

Ok, I'm bad dizzy now, Tom. Thanks! LOL! No way!
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

I decided a long time ago that the only safe way to climb a ladder was to make sure it's at the proper angle to the wall, secure it at top and bottom, and convince someone else to go up it. I prefer to stay here on terra firma.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln