looking for some wolf info

larry merlau

has anyone here ever seen the aftermath of wolf kill? we were lucky to have come across one that was made in the night, and found it the next am.. and it was amazing at what wasnt there.. so i am looking for someone that has seen one and to hear there observations, then will reveal mine.. they never made a sound all night long.

I saw lots of moose/wolf kills in alaska...not much left of the moose...and wolf tracks as big as my hand. Anecdotally, I heard that the old timers would cover a knife with blood and make a 'bloodsickle' to imbed in the ground near a fresh kill...point up. The wolves would lick the bloody knife and some would cut their tongues badly enough to bleed to death, leaving a blood trail to their bodies.

I saw lots of moose/wolf kills in alaska...not much left of the moose...and wolf tracks as big as my hand. Anecdotally, I heard that the old timers would cover a knife with blood and make a 'bloodsickle' to imbed in the ground near a fresh kill...point up. The wolves would lick the bloody knife and some would cut their tongues badly enough to bleed to death, leaving a blood trail to their bodies.

Bloodsickle would be an awesome name for a band. :headbang:

Playing the easy hits from the '70s, '80s, and '90s. :rofl:

sounds like this one sorta ted,, they left half of the shoulder blade bone, 3" of rib bone and the contents of the stomach and 8" of small intestine and a bit of hair ,,lots of blood stain but that was it.. hide and everything was gone and they left one pile of scat with hair and bone in it.

Glad we don't have wolves in Arkansas, or nearby states in Ozarks. Although some coyotes get large enough to be confused with wolves. Many old timers refer to 'yotes as wolves.

My step father used to talk about the "wolves" getting his calves once in a while... down in east Texas, I'm sure they were coyotes or else a pack of dogs on the loose.... don't think Freestone County as seen a true wolf in about 100 years.