Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walnut doors with stained glass inserts -COMPLETED

Walnut doors with stained glass inserts -COMPLETED

In early 2010, I built two pairs of walnut doors and inserted stained glass panels that I made into the doors. I described that project on-line but it seems that I did not describe it in the Family Woodworking forum. If I did, I certainly can't find it here. For a description of that project with lots and lots of pictures and detail both about the doors and the satined glass, you can look at the Festoll Owners Group forum thread: http://festoolownersgroup.com/member...stained-glass/Margaret really likes the doors and she wants a matching pair for the passageway between our kitchen and dining room. This project in now underway and I hope to complete it before the end of November. Regular reporting upon progress seemed to make the first project proceed well, so I am going to report here on the new project too -but in less detail because the majority of the steps will be much the same as in the first project.Two weeks ago, I finished building the six stained glass panels that will be required. They have the same design as the panels in the original set of doors but are slightly smaller because the new doors will be narrower. Here is photo of one of the panels after assembly but before soldering:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walnut and stained glass door for kitchen  -First panel is ready to be soldered.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	71180And here the six panels are layout out in their approximate locations on the old doors that have been removed:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 01 -Rough layout of new doors -small.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	71179
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 12-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    I have seen the original walnut door/stained glass project first hand. Quite amazing transformation of the doorway, but nothing more than I would expect from Frank!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Great job on both the doors and stained glass Frank.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Looking forward to watching your progress Frank.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Looking forward to watching your progress Frank.
    Ditto here.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Week ending October 21st: (post one of two)

I did get started on the replacement doors. Here the old door frame is being removed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 02 -Starting to remove the old door frame -small.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	71181 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 03 -The old door frame has now been removed -small.JPG 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	71182

Getting our kitchen into this kind of state is a define commitment to Margaret on my part to complete this task ASAP.

The first step in constructing the new doors was to re-saw a sufficient supply of 5/4 walnut boards:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 04 -Re-sawing rough cut walnut boards -small.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	71183 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 05 -Re-sawn walnut boards awaiting further processing -small.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	71184
    These were then planed to a uniform thickness of 1 centimetre:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 06 -Planing re-sawn walnut boards -small.JPG 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	71185

It is a real joy to use my new Hammer A2-31! I find it hard to believe that it is possible to dial to a tolerance of about half a millimetre. I bought the machine for its space saving but, now that I have used it for a little while, the ease of use and quality of cut is at least as important.

As I did with the other doors, most of the walnut is being laminated to Baltic birch. Here one such “board” is being laminated:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 07 -Walnut laminated to Baltic birch to form peices used for.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	71186
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 10-23-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

Week ending October 21st: (post two of two)

The overall quality of the walnut is quite good, but there are a few knot holes. I deal with these using a mixture of walnut planer shaving, walnut sawdust, and epoxy (QuickCure 5) in steps as shown in the photos below:

(1) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 08 -About to mix material used to plug knot holes -small.JPG 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	71187

(2) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 09 -Mixing material used to plug knot holes -small.JPG 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	71188

(3) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 10 -Knot hole has been plugged -small.JPG 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	71189

(4) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 11 -Filled -n knot hole has been sanded -small.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	71190

The mixture dries very hard and can be readily sanded. Once a finishing coat is applied (later), the former hole blends in reasonably well.

The walnut is screwed as well as glued, then the screw holes are plugged with walnut dowels. These are “manufactured” from cut offs:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 12 -Creating a lot of walnut plugs -small.JPG 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	71191[

Here, boards are being installed around the door frame:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 13 -Attaching laminated walnut pieces to door frame -small.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	71192

I just noticed when looking at this photo now that I chipped then paint off a couple of tiles when taking off the old molding. Oh well, I still have most of a box of tiles left over from when I applied them about 25 years ago. I expect that I will need to purchase new grout though.
    Cheers, Frank

Week ending October 28th:

I made slow but steady progress on the door project this week. The first thing that I did was a job that I hate and that is puttying all the windows. This has to be done in order to stop the glass pieces from rattling around in the enclosing lead came channels. The job is dirty and time consuming and it seems to take days before all the excess putty is removed. In the photo below putty has been applied to one side of one window.

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 14 -Puttying all the windows -small.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	71338

The putty next has to be brushed into the small openings between the glass and the lead. Then it is (mostly) cleaned off the calcium carbonate powder.

The doors will have a (15 mm) Baltic birch plywood core. In the photobelow, the cores are being tested for size in the opening:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 15 -Testing the plywood core of the doors for size -small.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	71339

The glass panels have not been installed yet; they are simply being temporarily held in place with some thin plastic shims.

Neil C on the Festool Owner’s group forum suggested that I make some molding with a dado in the back to overlay a bit of the tile and, thus, cover up the chips that I created when removing the old molding. This sounded a lot easier that re-tiling, so I created a small sample to test out the idea:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 16 -Sample molding for kitchen side of door frame -small.JPG 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	71340

I like it, so I made molding to go all the way around. Here is a photo after the piece on the right hand side of the door frame has been screwed in place:

Name:	Kitchen to Dining Room door project 17 -One piece of molding has been installed on the kitchen s.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	71341
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 10-29-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Cheers, Frank

Great tip on the molding
    I can sure see what a time consuming job cleaning up all that putty would be

Looking good so far
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Stained glass looks awesome, nice job