Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painted me car

Painted me car

I have an 11 year old Saturn S, with 365,000 km on the clock (that's about 225,000 miles) It had the engine rebuilt twice at about 100,000 km, but still drives almost as well as it did new. It was looking pretty shabby, as the driver's side mirror was held together by duct tape, and there were lots of stone chips and areas the size of a quarter or more that had no paint. So, I got a replacement mirror and a replacement license plate holder and license plates (the front license plate disappeard sometime in JUne,) went to Canadian Tire, bought a can of spray lacquer that almost matches the original colour, and painted over the worst areas.

Now, if you are standing ten feet from the car, at night, you can hardly tell that it's been touched up. I'm thinking of getting a cheap paint job in the spring. I'll never get back what I put into it in the next year or so, but I will at least not be disgraced by my car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaturnL.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	71200 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaturnR.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	71201
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

At least in those photos, I can't see that it's had a rattlecan paint job. That looks like it'll work.

Another approach would be to just get a hot glue gun or some epoxy and save yourself a lot of paint fumes...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good for you Roger. Anytime you can get that many miles on a car you've done well. Paint job look OK from here.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

I remember getting together with a few guys back in the mid 60"s and painting our buddy's VW bug yellow. House paint yellow with 4" brushes
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I don't know what I do; frequently when I am typing a "Reply" FWW kicks me out and all of the message vanishes into limbo.

Second try =

Bob,

I do not know why what you said triggered my mind about a painting incident. Greg, Glenn's older brother, was doing some shake can, aluminum color, painting. Since Greg was around age 19 he still had some of the great attributes of a teenager. He did his painting upwind from our maroon XJ-12 Jag.

Well 5,000 silver spots do not look well on a maroon car. Greg took it to his shop and did a complete repaint. That car was REAL shiny. Glenn held his driver's license against the car---you could read it reflected in the paint. I ended up with the best looking maroon Jag on the planet---even though that was the hard way to get there.

Enjoy,

JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 10-25-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    ) went to Canadian Tire, bought a can of spray lacquer that almost matches the original colour, and painted over the worst areas.

Now, if you are standing ten feet from the car, at night, you can hardly tell that it's been touched up.
    Looks good to me, Roger. I notice the lack of front hubcaps more than anything else.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

you have higher standards than my brother roger. you went for a 10 footer, he is happy with a 20 footer (looks good at 20 feet).
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    I have an 11 year old Saturn S, with 365,000 km on the clock (that's about 225,000 miles) It had the engine rebuilt twice at about 100,000 km, but still drives almost as well as it did new. It was looking pretty shabby, as the driver's side mirror was held together by duct tape, and there were lots of stone chips and areas the size of a quarter or more that had no paint. So, I got a replacement mirror and a replacement license plate holder and license plates (the front license plate disappeard sometime in JUne,) went to Canadian Tire, bought a can of spray lacquer that almost matches the original colour, and painted over the worst areas.

Now, if you are standing ten feet from the car, at night, you can hardly tell that it's been touched up. I'm thinking of getting a cheap paint job in the spring. I'll never get back what I put into it in the next year or so, but I will at least not be disgraced by my car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaturnL.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	71200 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaturnR.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	71201

Uh-Oh, better get MAACO.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    I don't know what I do; frequently when I am typing a "Reply" FWW kicks me out and all of the message vanishes into limbo.

Second try =

Bob,

I do not know why what you said triggered my mind about a painting incident. Greg, Glenn's older brother, was doing some shake can, aluminum color, painting. Since Greg was around age 19 he still had some of the great attributes of a teenager. He did his painting upwind from our maroon XK-12 Jag.

Well 5,000 silver spots do not look well on a maroon car. Greg took it to his shop and did a complete repaint. That car was REAL shiny. Glenn held his driver's license against the car---you could read it reflected in the paint. I ended up with the best looking maroon Jag on the planet---even though that was the hard way to get there.

Enjoy,

JimB
    That brought back a memory of my navy days... about 3 years into my 4 year hitch, I went home on leave to attend my brother's funeral, on the way back to San Francisco I stopped in Arizona to visit my mother... she was all excited about a 1959 red and white impala sitting on a local car lot... I bought it and drove it back to SF.... shortly after getting back there, I was parked on a dock near a ship that was being repainted.... it's windy in SF and they were spray painting... I wound up with a red and white and battle ship grey impala.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Looks good to me, Roger. I notice the lack of front hubcaps more than anything else.
    These were replacement wheel covers from Canadian Tire. The two front ones fell off, so I'm thinking of moving one of the rear covers to the front wheel on the other side, and putting a different pair of covers on the side without covers. then wait to see if anyone notices.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln