Painted me car

Roger Tulk

I have an 11 year old Saturn S, with 365,000 km on the clock (that's about 225,000 miles) It had the engine rebuilt twice at about 100,000 km, but still drives almost as well as it did new. It was looking pretty shabby, as the driver's side mirror was held together by duct tape, and there were lots of stone chips and areas the size of a quarter or more that had no paint. So, I got a replacement mirror and a replacement license plate holder and license plates (the front license plate disappeard sometime in JUne,) went to Canadian Tire, bought a can of spray lacquer that almost matches the original colour, and painted over the worst areas.

Now, if you are standing ten feet from the car, at night, you can hardly tell that it's been touched up. I'm thinking of getting a cheap paint job in the spring. I'll never get back what I put into it in the next year or so, but I will at least not be disgraced by my car. :D

SaturnL.jpg SaturnR.jpg

At least in those photos, I can't see that it's had a rattlecan paint job. That looks like it'll work. :thumb:

Another approach would be to just get a hot glue gun or some epoxy and save yourself a lot of paint fumes...

artcarsculpture.jpg

I don't know what I do; frequently when I am typing a "Reply" FWW kicks me out and all of the message vanishes into limbo.

Second try =

Bob,

I do not know why what you said triggered my mind about a painting incident. Greg, Glenn's older brother, was doing some shake can, aluminum color, painting. Since Greg was around age 19 he still had some of the great attributes of a teenager. He did his painting upwind from our maroon XJ-12 Jag.

Well 5,000 silver spots do not look well on a maroon car. Greg took it to his shop and did a complete repaint. That car was REAL shiny. Glenn held his driver's license against the car---you could read it reflected in the paint. I ended up with the best looking maroon Jag on the planet---even though that was the hard way to get there.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
) went to Canadian Tire, bought a can of spray lacquer that almost matches the original colour, and painted over the worst areas.

Now, if you are standing ten feet from the car, at night, you can hardly tell that it's been touched up.

Looks good to me, Roger. I notice the lack of front hubcaps more than anything else.:saythat:

I have an 11 year old Saturn S, with 365,000 km on the clock (that's about 225,000 miles) It had the engine rebuilt twice at about 100,000 km, but still drives almost as well as it did new. It was looking pretty shabby, as the driver's side mirror was held together by duct tape, and there were lots of stone chips and areas the size of a quarter or more that had no paint. So, I got a replacement mirror and a replacement license plate holder and license plates (the front license plate disappeard sometime in JUne,) went to Canadian Tire, bought a can of spray lacquer that almost matches the original colour, and painted over the worst areas.

Now, if you are standing ten feet from the car, at night, you can hardly tell that it's been touched up. I'm thinking of getting a cheap paint job in the spring. I'll never get back what I put into it in the next year or so, but I will at least not be disgraced by my car. :D

View attachment 71200 View attachment 71201

Uh-Oh, better get MAACO. :wave::wave::p

I don't know what I do; frequently when I am typing a "Reply" FWW kicks me out and all of the message vanishes into limbo.

Second try =

Bob,

I do not know why what you said triggered my mind about a painting incident. Greg, Glenn's older brother, was doing some shake can, aluminum color, painting. Since Greg was around age 19 he still had some of the great attributes of a teenager. He did his painting upwind from our maroon XK-12 Jag.

Well 5,000 silver spots do not look well on a maroon car. Greg took it to his shop and did a complete repaint. That car was REAL shiny. Glenn held his driver's license against the car---you could read it reflected in the paint. I ended up with the best looking maroon Jag on the planet---even though that was the hard way to get there.

Enjoy,

JimB

That brought back a memory of my navy days... about 3 years into my 4 year hitch, I went home on leave to attend my brother's funeral, on the way back to San Francisco I stopped in Arizona to visit my mother... she was all excited about a 1959 red and white impala sitting on a local car lot... I bought it and drove it back to SF.... shortly after getting back there, I was parked on a dock near a ship that was being repainted.... it's windy in SF and they were spray painting... I wound up with a red and white and battle ship grey impala.

Looks good to me, Roger. I notice the lack of front hubcaps more than anything else.:saythat:

These were replacement wheel covers from Canadian Tire. The two front ones fell off, so I'm thinking of moving one of the rear covers to the front wheel on the other side, and putting a different pair of covers on the side without covers. then wait to see if anyone notices. :D

...I'm thinking of moving one of the rear covers to the front wheel on the other side, and putting a different pair of covers on the side without covers. then wait to see if anyone notices. :D

I like the way you think! :D I also doubt anyone would notice unless you told them. ;)

An old guy in the town I up in, had the nicest painted wood hauling trucks ever. Even at a close distance they looked good. His secret? Wait for a hot, HOT, day. Leave it in the sun. Have the paint scuffed with a scotch bright pad. Using a paint brush, he would paint those trucks. Bright candy apple red, plum crazy from Chrysler, all kinds of colors. Being the metal was so hot all of the brush marks just blended. Seriously, for a cheap paint job, that really is a great trick.

An old guy in the town I up in, had the nicest painted wood hauling trucks ever. Even at a close distance they looked good. His secret? Wait for a hot, HOT, day. Leave it in the sun. Have the paint scuffed with a scotch bright pad. Using a paint brush, he would paint those trucks. Bright candy apple red, plum crazy from Chrysler, all kinds of colors. Being the metal was so hot all of the brush marks just blended. Seriously, for a cheap paint job, that really is a great trick.

I'm going to paint my canoe that way, if I ever get time to finish it. :rolleyes: