I Guess Im Learning??? Maybe?

Mike Turner

I have a Jet 1642 with the 1 1/2 hp motor and am turning some magnolia that has been drying for a few months..Im just now getting to it. These are small bowls...maybe 8" max in dia ..and between 3 to 5" deep. Im using the EWT Ci1 , the Hunter Hercule tool, and the EWT Ci5 Hollower.... I would be turning and get a light catch and lathe would make a squelching sound and momentary pause and continue on. I put new inserts in all the tools ...It was time ...They had been used a lot...It seemed real easy for this catch ,sound and pause to happen..easier than I thought...I was just wondering is it normal for a Jet 1642 to so easily do this..??? I had to make sure my tool presentation was the best I could do (still learning on bowls...turned a ton of flutes though)and had to make sure ht of rest was the best I could do....Is this normal with the Jet 1642? Sound like just a learning curve Im going through? Happened quite a few times ...not the snatch the tool from your hand kind of catch ..just catch,squelch, pause and go again.

Could the drive belt be a bit loose? Unless you're taking really heavy cuts, that 1 1/2hp motor should be able to plow right through on an 8" diameter piece.

Also, if you're getting catches with the Easy Wood tools, double-check that the cutting edge is right at the centerline of the piece and that the tool shank is held parallel with the floor.

Tight enough to be between 1) tight enough that the belt almost never slips and 2) loose enough it does not break your arm.

I started to say, "Have a glass of wine and stay loose." However, alcohol and woodworking are about like alcohol and driving---not a good idea.

Gads, don't I sound like a prissy old man though?

Enjoy,

JimB

Tight enough to be between 1) tight enough that the belt almost never slips and 2) loose enough it does not break your arm.

I started to say, "Have a glass of wine and stay loose." However, alcohol and woodworking are about like alcohol and driving---not a good idea.

Enjoy,

JimB

Maybe prissy, but if your still able to learn, not to old. ROTFLOL

Enjoy,

JimB

I don't know about prissy, but certainly old enough to know when to be careful.:thumb:... we have enough accidents when the ww is sober... add alcohol and we almost have a guaranteed accident.:eek:

I just looked at it. It was loose some.That was problem...How tight should it be....??? without being too tight.??

On my Powermatic (with a bit heavier motor), I typically just let the weight of the motor tension the belt, then I lock it down. If I'm doing something like coring - where I know I can get some hardcore catches - I'll loosen it just a little bit and let the slipping belt be my safety valve.