The Roubo Bench Again

Stuart Ablett

Garret Hack is coming to Japan again!

We are arranging another class for him to teach and this time we are going to make sure of some basic things. The first class he taught here, we were told the classroom had workbenches, but really they were craft tables. To make sure Garret has a good workbench I'll be taking mine out of the Dungeon and bringing it to the class. The top needed a good smoothing, some hand planing to clean it up.

bench_resurafce_oct_2012a.jpg

I started with my trusty #5 and an hour, and some sweat, later......

bench_resurafce_oct_2012b.jpg

That hour included sharpening the blade in both planes.

Now I have to get some finish on it and then I'll have to figure out how to get it out of the Dungeon. I came down in board form, so I've never had it out of the Dungeon. It should not be a big deal, it is a slightly undersized Roubo bench at 170cm/67" long by 62cm/24" wide. It will certainly fit out the Dungeon hatch and fit in my micro van, and I have a power hoist to do the lifting.

Garret's class will be on the 18th of November, a Sunday, in case any of you wish to attend :D

Now I have to get some finish on it and then I'll have to figure out how to get it out of the Dungeon. I came down in board form, so I've never had it out of the Dungeon. It should not be a big deal, it is a slightly undersized Roubo bench at 170cm/67" long by 62cm/24" wide. It will certainly fit out the Dungeon hatch and fit in my micro van, and I have a power hoist to do the lifting.

This, I would like to see. Maybe a video? But with the sound off, as we would not want you to violate the CoC.:D

Well Stu after u mentioned putting blo on your bench last time, i did the same and have been meaning to get round to thank u for the tip because it makes a huge difference especially when it comes to getting glue off. But also in the case of my SPF top it has really helped slightly harden and protect the surface since i last did a clean up like u just done.

What u got planned for it this time :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Well Stu after u mentioned putting blo on your bench last time, i did the same and have been meaning to get round to thank u for the tip because it makes a huge difference especially when it comes to getting glue off. But also in the case of my SPF top it has really helped slightly harden and protect the surface since i last did a clean up like u just done.

What u got planned for it this time :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

This time I used Formby's Pure Tung Oil. It will finish very similar to BLO :D