Latest Project for LOML

Sam Blasco

Eleven years ago I promised my wife a new bed when we switched to a king size mattress. I, unequivocally, told her we would not be buying something someone else had made! But when you have a cabinet shop the cobler's kids have no shoes, right? Bless her, she only asked me once a year on our anniversary, so I don't think that classifies as nagging. The mattress stayed on the floor all this time, but when she became pregnant last year she laid down the law and told me it was time to put up or give the credit card to Rooms to Go. Talk about motivation...:eek:
Below is what I came up with, not exactly traditional, but not too out there either. Lyptus and Maple. For those who are a glutton for punishment you are more than welcome to get the whole slideshow here:

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/postcromag/Suspended Bed/?start=all

133-Complete.jpg

150-The-Joint.jpg

Sam

Simply fantastic! Wonderful design and workmanship and a great set of photos, I went through them twice!

Oh.......... and the shop and the tools, what can I say but I'm jealous! I liked the fact that you could run the side rail through the shaper without taking the whole machine outside!

Jay

Sam,

Very creative and original, IMHO. It does float. Almost a shame to put a duvet on and cover things up.

One practical concern I would have is how is it with the leg protruding from the side of the bed. It introduces a bit of a gap when you sit on the side of the bed, doesn't it? How does that feel?

Oh, and are the matching nightstands next? You're on a roll, Sam!

Sam, it breaks my heart seeing you struggle along in that little shop with just the bare minimum of power tools. :rofl: If it'd help, I've got a 25 year old Craftsman router that you can borrow. :p

I love the design of the bed, and your execution is gorgeous. Very well done! :clap: What glue did you use for the curved lams?

And now we know where your avatar pic comes from. ;)

WOW! :thumb:

Drop Dead Wonderful! :p

A+ in my book

I love it. You thunk up this on your own?

The design is so simplistic and so pleasing at the same time. The Dovetail just finishes the icing on your cake.

Congrads on the upcoming parental agenda, Were she not already, I could see it happening on that fine bed. :eek: (excuse me, I didn't mean I would be watching, just expecting great rewards for your effort) :eek:

Really nice and unique, Sam. Excellent pictorial too. That ought to keep you out of the Dog House for a while.:thumb: (maybe another eleven years.....??:D

You mentioned dowels when glueing, so did you put dowels between the side rails and into the curved edges of the feet? I noticed the dowels for the slats, which I have seen used in a lot of european beds.

Sam in my house after 11 years I would have had to make two twin beds?? Great piece looks great!!!
My first post here I should post an introduction, maybe later I couldn't resist this one.

Later Dennis

Thanks for all your comments. It was a fun and challenging project. I was concerned a little about the legs sticking out too far when you get out of bed, but it hasn't proved to be a problem at all and the cats love the ledge. Headboard was planned, and still may get built, but the focus was on getting Jill off the floor, and it looked pretty good without one (appealling to my miminmalist tendencies) so I'm not sure what will happen there. Other fish to fry right now, fixing and restoring a crib my grandfather built for me.

"...You mentioned dowels when glueing, so did you put dowels between the side rails and into the curved edges of the feet? I noticed the dowels for the slats, which I have seen used in a lot of european beds."

Yes, I used dowels, and screws and adhesive to attach the side rails to the legs.

"...Oh, and are the matching nightstands next?"

Yes, but my guess is they will stay on paper until my schedule changes and time gets freed up. Good thing I saved the form, too. A neighbor who saw the bed talked to someone who talked to someone else and it looks like I'm being commissioned for another bed.

"...If it'd help, I've got a 25 year old Craftsman router that you can borrow... What glue did you use for the curved lams?"

Thanks, my Craftsman router is over 30 and just about dead. My shop is great, but it looks much larger than it is since it is adjacent to the show room/overflow room, so I don't really get to use all that space, except when I gets cleaned out for one of my classes. Mostly it is a tease having my shop 30 feet from where I work my day job, and yet can only get in there a couple of hours every other night and a weekend when I am in town and don't have too much to honey do.

Epoxy is my adhesive of choice for most everything important. I let it cure on the form for over a week so there was very minimal spring back, maybe a 1/16 on each end.

"...You thunk up this on your own?"

The sketches evolved over the years, and they all involved some play of curves playing with straight lines and this is the one that stuck. Most of my projects start off on a scrap of paper and design themselves as they are being built. Kind of funny, considering I recommend working from detailed plans when I teach.

Thanks again, guys... they are boarding my plane now so gotta go... Anybody in the TriState region Northeast, definitely consider checking out TSI in Edison, NJ this Thursday and Friday. They are usually really cool shows for the professional and serious home woodworker. Stop by and say, "Hey."