Cutting Boards Straight

I have a peculiar issue:

I've been cutting boards lately on my TS, the Bosch Contractor saw. Strips between 1-6" of all types of woods, and then I'm gluing them together. They all fit together great making nice seams. All, that is, except for one. I've got one board of Ash that will NOT give me a straight edge. I could mix up all the other dozen strips, drop them like "pick-up sticks" but them together in any order and they all fit together great except for this one side of ash (the board has walnut glued to the other edge that's straight).

I've cut it on the table saw with the wide side against the fence, the narrow side against the fence, and I've cut it on a sled--you know, the kind you use for making skew cuts. Several times I might add. As soon as I lay the freshly cut side against any other side of any board, the freshly cut one is not straight. It's bowed in the middle and will NOT make a nice seam.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it possible there's some kind of internal stress in the board that will prevent it from giving me a straight side?

:bang: :bang: :bonkers: :deadhorse: :eek: :busy:

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it possible there's some kind of internal stress in the board that will prevent it from giving me a straight side?

That's probably exactly what your problem is. Happens to me often. Even jointing them doesn't always work. Maybe in your particular case the walnut that is glued to it is keeping some of the stress locked into the ash :dunno: Try ripping the walnut off and cut the other edge again. Or just toss it and get another board.

There are some pieces that I can't get straight no matter what I try. I usually cut them into shorter lengths and use them for other projects.

Making cutting boards are you ????

Thanks a million, Bob. I really thought I might be losing my mind. I'm going to cut off the walnut (and my losses) and toss that piece of ash into the fireplace pile ;) And keep the walnut and continue on my merry way. Re: cutting boards, no, something a lot bigger actually but it's for the magazine so I have to keep my mouth shut until the issue comes out....then all the details and photos will too....so I can share my blunders and hillbilly jigs....:rofl:

Thanks a million, Bob. I really thought I might be losing my mind. I'm going to cut off the walnut (and my losses) and toss that piece of ash into the fireplace pile ;) And keep the walnut and continue on my merry way. Re: cutting boards, no, something a lot bigger actually but it's for the magazine so I have to keep my mouth shut until the issue comes out....then all the details and photos will too....so I can share my blunders and hillbilly jigs....:rofl:

you can show us first, we wont spill the beans.

Hi Cynthia

Just while we on this topic take note that very often this will happen on many wood types and boards.
The reason i am picking up on it is to make u aware of the need to keep some sort of splitter/riving knife etc at the back if ur blade on ur table saw. Then when the board releases this stress and bows while u cutting it does not end up binding on ur blade and coming back at u.:)

Other thing is once cut let the wood rest a day or so and then joint. Sometime helps to let it have its way and then shave it again to size u want.
Its wood a living material not steel ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

hahahahhahaha thanks Allen, I'll keep that in mind. Yes, Rob, I do keep a riving knife on all the time. The pawls that hang out the back I put on occasionally when I'm cutting something wide, but they're off most of the time because I'm afraid they'll bugger up little slices. the big plastic fingers that go over the blade are always off because I can't see the blade, and I think it's more dangerous (for me) if I can't see where the blade is.