Hurricane Sandy

the mass spread panic over gasoline is reaching new highs.
the lines around my home are miles long and they are only allowing 20-30 dollars each person.
People are going crazy.Fights, not good at all.

the mayor of NY finally came to his senses and cancelled the marathon. Nice to know they had truck sized generators sitting unused ready to heat up the marathon tents, while 100 thousand people on Staten Island, where the marathan begins, have no homes, food, heat, hot water, nothing left, and all the people who booked rooms took all the ny rooms.

and to all the hotel owners, who went from 99 dollars a night, to 500 per night and are torturing people who are already suffering horribly, I hope your hotels fall down, you go out of business, and you suffer pain like you deserve.
And that goes triple for the looters.This is why public stoning should be brought back.There cannot be forgiveness for people who thrive on others pain.
99.5% of people are doing whatever they can to help others, I offered a total stranger a warm shower and warm bed, but ofcourse, they didnt accept, guess they thought I was crazy. Its the half percent that find profit in others miseries, real misery.
I hope the issue to shoot looters on sight are issued.

Im sorry about the rant, but most businesses with power are doing more business in one week than they would do in a month, so theres no need to charge 10 dollars for a pack of batteries, or 10 dollars for a gallon of gas, or 600 dollars for a 150 dollar hotel room.

Kudos to hamptons inn, who offered rooms regular price, and was nice enough to understand what I was going through.

If this post offends anyone, just take it down.

one more thing before I go plug in the chain saw(hope it works)

Id like to thank the great state of wisconsin, for the crew of gentlemen, that didnt seemed overwhelmed and talked to the ladies around here, took down our addresses, and promised after 2 other jobs, they would come over and look into our power outage, and then shortly after they turned us on.

Seems whenever we spoke with local LIPA crews, they were frazzled, almost nasty, didnt say much else then well, we have alot to do, well get to you.
I did see alot of local LIPA workers though each morning on line at the bagel store getting coffee and at the chinese takeout at night getting food, but never saw one of them after the first day actually working in my nieghborhood.

thankyou wisconsin.

Allen, sorry to hear about the all the damage down your way. I'm up state a little, Newburgh area, if there is anything I can do for you let me know. We still have long gas lines here but we do have power. Dont know if there is much I can do now but let me know if you think there is anything I can do from here..

the mass spread panic over gasoline is reaching new highs.
the lines around my home are miles long and they are only allowing 20-30 dollars each person.
People are going crazy.Fights, not good at all.

the mayor of NY finally came to his senses and cancelled the marathon. Nice to know they had truck sized generators sitting unused ready to heat up the marathon tents, while 100 thousand people on Staten Island, where the marathan begins, have no homes, food, heat, hot water, nothing left, and all the people who booked rooms took all the ny rooms.

and to all the hotel owners, who went from 99 dollars a night, to 500 per night and are torturing people who are already suffering horribly, I hope your hotels fall down, you go out of business, and you suffer pain like you deserve.
And that goes triple for the looters.This is why public stoning should be brought back.There cannot be forgiveness for people who thrive on others pain.
99.5% of people are doing whatever they can to help others, I offered a total stranger a warm shower and warm bed, but ofcourse, they didnt accept, guess they thought I was crazy. Its the half percent that find profit in others miseries, real misery.
I hope the issue to shoot looters on sight are issued.

Im sorry about the rant, but most businesses with power are doing more business in one week than they would do in a month, so theres no need to charge 10 dollars for a pack of batteries, or 10 dollars for a gallon of gas, or 600 dollars for a 150 dollar hotel room.

Kudos to hamptons inn, who offered rooms regular price, and was nice enough to understand what I was going through.

If this post offends anyone, just take it down.

Allen I agree 100% with what you said. I'm glad you and your family are safe and the material posestions can be replaced.

Looking at the pictures brings back memories of Hurricane Ike back in 2008. I guess we don't get mentioned as we down here in Texas didn't make a big stink with all the devastation. We just pulled up our britches and did what needed to be done to get our lives back in order.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that fail to prepare when they had ample time to. When Ike hit the gulf we already were prepared with 13 cases of bottled water, probably as many cases of canned foods not to mention the 80 plus gallons of gas whe had on hand for the generator. as for additional water for bathing and such we had 7300 gallons in our pool I shocked the day before the storm hit.

We went without power, water and sewage for 6 days. Many went without for much much longer depending on the sverity of the damage.

I even gave in to the fact that we might lose everything and was fine with that. I wish I could explain that better but you also need to realize that things are going to get damaged destroyed beyond repair with storms like these.

Sorry for the rant but I have no sympathy for people that are able to prepare but don't! If this offends people then get over it.

Allen if there is anything I can do for you just ask.

Glad your OK Allen, I been following your troubles even If I haven't posted. My nephews are in Port Jefferson so I have twice as many reasons to worry about you folks. Our 2 power companies SRP and APS as well as the AZ National Guard are either on site or in route so more help is on it's way please keep us posted.

my son received a rental car right after his car got destroyed. Problem is, the rental had very little gas. I have a huge tank in my f150, and I wanted to siphon gas out to give him, (Im not going anywhere), but I cant find a flexible pipe hooking up to the fill pipe(anti siphoning device in fill pipe), and Im not a car person, and dont want to do something Ill regret.
He just called us, says alot of crews are in his area, so Im hoping at least they restore power within 24 hours.
My daughters jeep, although windows knocked out, and pushed a bit by the tree, is drivable, so they are coming shortly to our home, and we will give my son our car to use.(My wife works within walking distance of our home)
My son needs to be in work, a car is important for him.
Gotta do what we gotta do.
Alan B mentioned a way for me to try to siphon, but I dont have the know how to attempt it.

sayer, its very discouraging when you tell me all the way up in Newburgh, there are long lines. The panic is spreading.
NY'ers just dont know what a tough hurricane is, and I guess the local govts werent prepared.
If people would just stop panicking, and not run to get gas if they have 1/2 tank, Im sure within a few days more stations would open and things will start moving along.
Ofcourse, shore areas are going to be off limits for months, maybe years.

Allen, your right. All it is is panic up here. Theres plenty of gas but the media creates such a panic everyone runs for the pumps. There is a lot of folks coming up from the city and jersey to get gas it creates long lines. We are lucky to have power and I believe the people coming up with no power should be given first place in line. Again, if I can help out let me know....

Allen thing that i am wondering about is how come the military has not moved in to help out with Gas. I am thinking surely the military has a vehicle park somewhere near enough to be have been deployed with bowsers of both water and fuel and anything else needed ....shelter rations u name it. I dont get it. Is there some "rule" "regulation" prohibiting the military from helping out?
Can someone help educate me as to this in relation to US gov structure protocol.

I mean the military is one institution that always stockpiles and i would think they would be delighted to turnover some stores. Heck its not as if the country is facing an impending war that the stores could not be replenished in time.
Somewhere something does not click for me.
You guys have resources that always seem to get mustered in light speed when helping out others like i watched happen when Indonesia had a Tsunami few years back. Yet in your own back yards we see help having to come from pretty localised orgs.

Guess application of logic dont work with bureaucrats.

Something dont make sense to me each time i watch these disasters.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

some good news at least. the dept of defense is bringing in 12 million gallons of gasoline to the new york area. they are going to be setting up 5 mobile fuel stations around new york and long island. they will be imposing a limit of 10 gallons per car, but the best part of all, the gas is free. they will be topping up first responders (police, fire, medical) first, as should be in a situation like this, then the public.

the national guard have been wonderful.
they are working hard, bringing in food and water where needed.
they are assisting police locally, cant say enough about them.

Im not sure the free gasoline is going to solve anything, but once they power up more stations, I think the panic will subside.cant get the gas out of the tank if they dont have electric to pump it.

for the picture people, heres some shots of my sons damages.

the second shot, you can notice the damage to the upper roof, but it is worse than the picture seems.
There was a limb sticking through the roof into my sons office.
The car next to my sons altima, is his girlfriends new altima.
'although she didnt get a alot of body damage, there are a lot of dings and scratches.
I kinda wish it was her car that got totalled, since now she will have a new car with alot of bodywork and paint. just my way of thinking. My daughters old jeep had a dented roof, a dented side, and a rear window gone.(along with rear wipers, all the hardware for the window is bent, locks, etc.)
The jeep was pushed all the way up, the tree wasnt an entire tree as I thought, it was a chunk that fell off from the upper section of the neigbhors tree.(when they looked out in the storm after the tree fell, they thought the jeep was in much worse shape, thought most of the windows came out, so this is a good thing, she needs a car)
The tree limb going through the cars window, is impaled through the dash board. My son couldnt move it, its in pretty deep.

the little bit of siding that came off, well, they will never match it up, and maybe thats best as its really ugly, perhaps it will be replaced. Not sure what they do if they need a few pieces and cant find it.

Attachments

• DSC01212 (Medium).jpg
    DSC01212 (Medium).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01245 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01245 (Medium).JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC01246 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01246 (Medium).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC01254 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01254 (Medium).JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Man, those pictures really bring the story home. Thanks for posting them, and sorry they were yours to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one more rant.....

nothing political here, not at all.

Mayor bloomberg, of NYC. Not my mayor, Im not a resident of NYC.
And I like the guy alot, he doesnt draw any salary for being the mayor.

He waited to cancel the marathon, so not only did he make all those out of towners travel to ny during the hurricane week, he made it impossible for NYers looking for a warm place to stay nearly impossible, since the runners from out of town had those rooms booked for a year.
If he cancelled the event on tuesday, out of towners never would have made the trip, and there would have been thousands more rooms available for displaced residents.
Sometimes you really have to think about something and weigh the benefits of it.

I was amazed that I heard him say the marathon was still on. That was just Friday AM I think. I listened to several radio talk shoes blast him for that decision since so many NYers were in such bad shape. No water, no place to live and no gas.
Glad he finally came to his senses.

I followed the marathon with some interest. I could see both sides. You need to get back to normal as soon as you can, helps all involved. On the flip side, it done as Allen pointed out. Took up lots of valuable resources. I am glad it was his decision to make and not mine.

Glad you are starting to get back to some what normal Allen, been thinking about you and yours.

actually got 2 hours of shop time in this morning.
not really motivated to do any woodworking, If I could get gas, Id be at my sons home, just for support. we cant drive back and forth.

my sil spent 4-6 hours each yesterday and friday waiting on lines for gasoline only to be told eventually the station sold out.
Today, the lines looked just as long, but my next door neighbor, said she got her car filled and 15 gallons in cans for her husband after about 1.5 hour wait today.

my son spoke with nissan, seems they dont have enough cars to meet the demand, and my son ordered a new car but will have to wait till mid december. I guess when his car rental insurance runs out(Maybe the insurance company will extend his payments until his car comes in), Ill have to give him one of my cars to use. (I dont drive much anymore anyway)

I really feel for those folks in the wake of Sandy.... I've been through several tropical storms, a couple of hurricanes and a typhoon when I was stationed on Guam.... we had Typhoon Karen blow up the mouth of the harbor and removed several prominent buildings, sank a couple of Royal Korean Gun boats, blew all the harbor tugs out of the water and up on to dry land, down in Agana washed all of the boats in the marina up and over the road to about 40 feet above the highway, wiped one village completely off the map...
When tropical storm Allison settle over Houston for a couple of days, we didn't have a lot of wind, but the rain fell for three days and I10 near my office was completely under water... when I left the office and tried to get home... I drove for several miles through about a foot of water and finally stopped at a funeral home (I thought it was a church) that had a higher parking lot, but wound up flooding as well... I saw people wading out of the nearby subdivision in chest high water... I wound up stranded at that funeral home overnight and late into the afternoon before my nephew could get in with his big dually Dodge to get me out, and still waded out in water that was over thigh deep. So I know the devastation these storms can create and I'm proud of the way the American people come together to aid their neighbors.