Hurricane Sandy

Generator is ready to go. Gas fireplace is primed and ready. Will be looking for somewhere to take a shower, the generator doesn't run the well pump:(

I have a bunch of huge pine and oaks right next to the house I'm a bit worried about though.

Folks south of us are going to get the brunt of the storm, be safe all.

Sounds like you need a holding tank Bob or at least get a 50 gallon drum or two to pump from for emergencies with a auxiliary pump that the generator can work.

Stay safe all, will keep you in our thoughts.

Allen L is the one standing point on this for us. It's looking like up my way is just going to get some wind and rain.

We will have 75 mph sustained winds tonight and through the night. Flooding is already happening.
100 yards of board walk is already gone in OC Md. This I am afraid will be much worse then Agnes ever was.

the city and long island is shut down. Completely, but the mail came this morning.
All stores that remained open are shutting by 2 or 3 today.
Last night was basically nothing, and so far today rain has been light, sporadic, but the winds have picked up considerably since this morning.
My wife is home, they just cancelled tomorrows classes as well.
We have plenty of food, no generator, plenty of water, I filled the tub just in case we need water to flush for any reason.(I dont know why I do this, but I always fill the tub when a hurricane is expected)
Id rather be in the garage making furniture.
If I had somewhere to park my car, Id be out there until the power goes off.

Aw shucks it's just a little rain...:eek:

Just have to be closer to home and in the event of anything happening well I guess it will happen. Have gas stove, wood stove, water supply, and plenty of stored food for many days without anything. At this point nothing has closed and doubting that they will. Things around here just don't shut for any storm let alone one that looks this size. Oh and without TV at the house I guess you don't get that worried for days before. That's a good thing.

weathermen are claiming the storm surge will be greater than that of katrina.
Im pretty sure all the coastal areas are going to take a massive hit.
Lower manhattan will probably be under water and the subways shut down for a week.

Diane and I left Frisco NC on Hatteras Island about 11:00 am This past Friday after a great week of vacation. By the time we were in Avon about 20 minutes up the road the rain from the outermost bands were starting to fall. I've been looking at pictures posted on Facebook by some of the business owners down there and everything is pretty much underwater now. Also saw a couple of pictures posted by one of the local news stations this morning showing pretty heavy snow falling in the mountains of West Virginia already. We are expecting some fallout from the storm here in central Ohio later today and tomorrow. You guys out there further east be safe in this mess.

probably wont have power much more, the tree limbs are just about making it impossible to drive down my street.
We were thinking about heading over to my sons home, since he is at a much higher elevation, but all the highways are now flooded in certain parts, and 135 had a sign fall down in the middle of the road besides flooding a few exits south of that.(rain doesnt seem an issue right here, dont know where all the flooding water is coming from)
Impossible now for us to go hang out with him.

power went off and on 2 or 3 times at 1:30 pm, but its been on since.
Most of the north side of the town is without power.
Weve been lucky so far today.
Rain is heavy, but not flooding any streets near me. Wind is ripping apart the trees.

my son just checked in, he doesnt have power.

Last edited:
captian get your towel and soap ready for the free shower:) i hear that big tall ship the bounty is down on the bottom of the sea now:( and two are still lost at sea.. hope everyone stays save

Hope everyone is still doing OK.

Fortunately, much less than predicted here. The 50~70 mph predicted winds didn't come - just some gusts to 40 or so. Lost a few oak branches, but that's all.

Rain - about 3 inches so far, and still coming. Predictions are for up to 6", but that doesn't seem likely now.

Thankfully, in spite of dire predictions, it's been pretty much a non-event here.

It's all but over here. Rain today. Nothing special. Some wind and rain, A lot of medial hype displaced to DC instead of where it should have been. DC gov. is closed again and school districts as well in Md and Va.