Hurricane Sandy

I heard on the radio this morning that 3 months later, there are still something like 3500 families still living in motels as the result of the storm.

they still need to give the looters more time to pilfer stuff:( anyone other than a owner or friend of owner should be not allowed anywhere close to the site of this catastrophe..

in my wifes school district, she has around 4 people she knows that live in the long beach area, and a few others in oceanside and island park, all lost everything.

Its difficult to find legit contractors now since they all so busy.

Theres been a ton of contractor thieves ripping people off, taking down payments, and starting work, then just dissapearing.

One woman in my wifes school district, had a flood last year during irene, rebuilt the house, took almost 6 months, and sandy totally destroyed it again.

While she was waiting for insurance and contractors to settle, whatever they do, the entire process of getting it all approved, her home was looted of anything she had left on the upper level.
Its sad. People managed to salvage a few precious things, and then some lowlife looters take what little they have left. This has been common here with the storm aftermath, as Im sure it is everywhere after heavy storm damage. These are affluent neighborhoods, but it hurts these people the same as it would hurt anyone.

I hope the looters get whats coming to them.

I heard on the radio this morning that 3 months later, there are still something like 3500 families still living in motels as the result of the storm.

alot of people werent insured, and I guess fema doesnt cover enough to repair totally destroyed homes. I read recently that after a certain amount of time, fema stops paying for living expenses, so I dont know what these people are going to do.

almost there. my son had him lay cement for the porch, at any future date when he wants to splurge he can get some trex and we can put in a deck. But at least for now he has a small patio in front, maybe Ill make him a new set of chairs.

he needs some landscaping, maybe in the budget next year, and then he has himself a nice house.(he has a new kitchen at least)

Attachments

• updated house (Medium).jpg
    updated house (Medium).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 23
the contractor is 99% finished.
the holes in the blacktop cant be fixed till the weather warms up, and theres a few small patches inside he never got to.

overall, its good to see my son lucked out and got a very skilled and reliable person.

Im noexpert, but I know what cruddy or work thats not up to par looks like, from experience.

The only thing that came out a little off is when they laid the cement in the front, the winds whipped up to 60 mph, and the surface got a little messy, but he will repair that also.
(he hasnt received the final payment)

we popped the last piece of trim in the kitchen yesterday, and finished all the base moldings in his hallways and the rest of kitchen.
Laid the transition between the two floors, and within a few weeks we will finally finish the tiling.

a small follow up note.
As a result of hurricane sandy, there isn't a legit qualified contractor available to do any work still.
They are still busy from sandy as well as all the work that backed up since they were doing hurricane repair work.
How am I sure about this?

Ive tried since the beginning of the summer to get a contractor I know to do some minor work upgrading my AC in my home.
After numerous calls to him, and him constantly telling me hes just so back logged with installations(buildings, homes, big jobs, not small piece work like I was looking for) he just stopped returning my calls.
Ive also talked with the contractor whos done a lot of work in my home the past 15 years or so, wanting to redo my upstair bathroom, a new door, maybe he can do the AC work, he told me upfront that they are so busy with homes still sitting vacant waiting for repair work, he cant promise me anything or even guess.

I contacted the contractor who did the work on my sons home, since my contractor saw my sons home after the repairs, and told me the contractor did excellent work, and he informed me today, hes at least 2-3 months before he can even look at my job, not knowing when he will be able to actually do any work here.

I gave up, I told him Ill wait as long as I have too, as long as hes here by next summer.

Im happy for the local contractors, they have been hurting here for a while, business was slow, now they have to turn down jobs.
(the better contractors, not the fly by night people who call themselves contractors, we have a lot of them here on the Island)

Glad to see the contractors are getting the work, but what a pain that there's nobody available to get your work done.

the boardwalk in long beach, that's been there for 100 years, wiped out by the hurricane, the first section that was rebuilt, using Ipe and cement, reopened recently, we went this past weekend to look at the new boardwalk.(its no finished yet)

Attachments

• phone 004.jpg
    phone 004.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 26
Wow Ipe that must have cost a fortune. :what: But now it will be there another hundred years. Amazing that they did not go for a composite.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Wow Ipe that must have cost a fortune. :what: But now it will be there another hundred years. Amazing that they did not go for a composite.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

the city of long beach is paying the contractor 44 million dollars for the construction of the new boardwalk. Don't know where all the money is coming from, but we were there over the weekend, and they had an entire parking lot filled with the ipe boards.
I believe the life expectancy was something like 30 or so years before any work will have to be done on it.

I'm guessing about $1 million is for the wood, and the other $43 million is for saw blades and drill bits. :D

Glad to see they're getting things put back together, Allen. :thumb: