pipe for pipe clamps

If you have a selection of pipe clamps and don't need all of them for the clamp-up, get some 3/4" couplings and put pipes together. Take the sliding part of the pipe clamp off the first clamp, use the coupling to add a section of pipe, then slide on the sliding part of the original clamp.

Alternately, take the sliding part of the first clamp off and set it aside. Then take the sliding part of the clamp you're going to add to the first clamp, and turn it around. Put the two clamps together with a coupling and use the second sliding part of the clamp to clamp against. The second technique just eliminates having to take everything off the second clamp.

What some people do is have three sections of pipe in the shop that they can add to existing clamps when they need longer length. I never did that.

Mike

Here are a couple of pictures to show you what type coupling to get. They are located in the electrical section and are used to connect ridgid pipe.

Personally I prefer galvanized as it grips the pipe better and doesn't leave any black marks.
001.JPG002.JPG

NO Ned it doesn't. I don't ever remember having to deal with black marks since I got galvanized pipe for my clamps. The clamps also grip the pipe better.

Also if I remember correctly I think I bought 3/4" ridgid pipe in the electrical section as I think it was cheaper than the plumbing galvanized pipe.

NO Ned it doesn't. I don't ever remember having to deal with black marks since I got galvanized pipe for my clamps. The clamps also grip the pipe better.

Also if I remember correctly I think I bought 3/4" ridgid pipe in the electrical section as I think it was cheaper than the plumbing galvanized pipe.
cool, good to know for when I finally can afford another set of pipe clamps!

That would be conduit. Just remember that it is thinner walled material and as such, it can bend easier under clamping pressure. This could be important if you are gluing up a panel and need it to stay flat.

Here are a couple of pictures to show you what type coupling to get. They are located in the electrical section and are used to connect ridgid pipe.

Personally I prefer galvanized as it grips the pipe better and doesn't leave any black marks.

alan, i thought galvanized did 'bad things' to the wood?

I have used galvanized pipe for years without issue. Like Mike, I have a collection of couplers on a loop of wire hanging next to the pipe clamp rack for extending if required. I have seen posts where one camp claims galvo causes the clamps to slip and the other camp claims the opposite. I assume anyone cranking beyond the design parameters of the clutch plates can make a pipe clamp slip ;). I bought 10' sticks at the BORG and took advantage of their free cutting and threading offer to make a collection of 5 foot-ish and 3 foot-ish pipes.

That would be conduit. Just remember that it is thinner walled material and as such, it can bend easier under clamping pressure. This could be important if you are gluing up a panel and need it to stay flat.

I tell you what Billy I've bent quite a bit of 3/4" ridgid conduit pipe before for electrical runs and it doesn't bend as easy as you think. Also if you need to put that much clamping pressure on a panel glue up you need to redo the joints on your boards.

Grasshopper if you need to clamp something that is a one time deal and you don't have the clamp for one can do many things. My fav for building barn doors is to screw a 2x to one end of 2 or 3 2x that are longer than the door is wide. Line the door up than screw another 2x at a slight angle to the door cut a wedge to fit said angle and drive it in. Tada door clamped.:thumb:
Another way would be to wrap a ratchet strap around the project and tighten it up. If holding the project flat is in order place a straight board (think caul)on each side that is just a bit shorter than the glue up and wrap the strap around them and the project. The tightening strap will also put pressure both ways keeping the project flat as it pulls it together. You may need to clamp both ends of the boards just to make sure they stay flat.

Grasshopper like this.:thumb:
The other 2 are of the yellow goat lion:thumb:
He is starting to pick up on big brother Thor's RIP habits.

Attachments

• tn_DSC01656.JPG
    tn_DSC01656.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 28
  • tn_DSC01653.JPG
    tn_DSC01653.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 28
  • tn_DSC01654.JPG
    tn_DSC01654.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 28