Titebond 3 clamping time

I'm gluing up a table top using Titebond 3 (and biscuits). Checking the titebond web site it says "Open assembly time 20 to 25 minutes. Whatever "open assembly time" is I don't know, what I like to know is how long I should clamp the table top? At the rate I'm building things I can leave it clamped for a few months, except I won't have the use of my clamps. What do other people do?

Tanks, DKT

I clamp till I need the clamps or 30 minutes, whichever is longer. If you are faced with a 30 minute scenario, I make sure I have somewhere for the items to go before I pull the clamps, then place the items in that spot and leave them alone till tomorrow. YMMV.

From Fine Woodworking Magazine:

Now long should the joint be subjected to clamp pressure? The time varies from species to species, with woods that have an even density across the growth rings, such as maple, requiring less time. But in general, the glueline reaches around 80% of its ultimate strength after 60 minutes of clamping. After this, joints can be released from the clamps, but the full glue strength won’t develop for about 24 hours.

"Open assembly time" is how long you have after spreading the glue to get the wood clamped up. In my limited experience with Titebond 3, they're being optimistic I like to try to get things clamped up in 10 minutes or less.

Since I'm seldom needing the clamps after gluing something up, I typically leave it in the clamps until the next day, but as Glenn said, anytime after about 30 minutes, you should be fine to take the clamps off. (Doesn't hurt to leave them on longer, though.)

Straight for the Titebond web site.

For most of our wood glues, we recommend clamping an unstressed joint for thirty minutes to an hour. Stressed joints need to be clamped for 24 hours. We recommend not stressing the new joint for at least 24 hours. For Titebond Polyurethane Glue, we recommend clamping for at least forty-five minutes. The glue is completely cured within 6 hours.