Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger Joint Jig

Finger Joint Jig

I've been wanting to make one of these for a while, I have a job up coming that I can use this on.

Attachment 6243
    Nothing fancy, 21mm thick MDF, two layers,
    the front layer is adjustable, right to left.

Attachment 6244

Attachment 6245

Attachment 6246

Works slick, that is a practice piece I did.

The only thing I'd like to change is to get a finer thread on the adjustment, the thread on there is way too coarse.

I'm also going to make the "Finger" area exchangeable, this will let me easily put different fingers in for different thicknesses of finger joints.

If you have a finger joint jig, then let's see it, I'm always looking for new good ideas

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hey Wow, Stu actually used his tablesaw.

As for my jig, I bought one of these from woodline a couple weeks ago at the Toronto CHW show. It sort of works for med-- I need a better router bit, I thought I had a good one at home so I didn't pick one up when I bought the jig at the show. I've been busy with other stuff, so I haven't worked with it much more (3 practise cuts is not enough to form a fair opinion. I think it will be fine once I tweak my settings a bit and get a better/cleaner router bit.). Seems like a pretty simple system.

Nice jig Stu! I've thought about making one of those too, but haven't had an immediate need.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Hey Wow, Stu actually used his tablesaw.
    Hey............. I use my tablesaw all the time.......... for a nice flat surface

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Built the same jig and used a 1/4-32 threaded bolt. For us that means 1 turn moves it 1/32". Slick jig! Love mine.

BTW, this is one place dial calipers are really handy in woodworking. I use mine to measure the cut width from the dado, then the finger and make adjustments accordingly.

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Yeah, me too, the measurements are the part that makes it a bit tough, but after a few, I got the hang of it, and can do them fairly well now.

I need a shim set for my Dado set, I'm using various thicknesses of cardboard, and even aluminum cans cut up

Works, but it would be easier with the right shim set.......... I think

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, that's a very nice jig you've got there.

Here's mine. With the digital scale on the east-west movement box joints are dead simple and there's no cumulative error. The last box joints I did were for three toy boxes for my son. Every joint was perfectly aligned and tight.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Wow Dave, that is really sweet, but it almost looks like cheating

Got any real pics of the unit in action????
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, I don't have pictures of mine in action but you can see a preview of the demo video here: http://www.woodrat.com/dvd.html The digital scales are actually from the Craftsman Gallery here in the US and you won't see them on the Rat in the video because that comes from the UK.

Hope that helps. If I can answer any questions about it I'd be happy to do so.

By the way, the method shown in the video for doing finger (box) joints is neat but its different than the way they are done with the digital scale on the east-west carriage. You could do box joints as shown in the video with the digital scale on the north south motion, though.