sharp and not fancy

Whatever method works... I've used a similar technique in years past, but once I got my Tormek, I've hardly used anything else.

Some folks like to sharpen to 0.0005 microns, or whatever, but personally, I feel that's gross overkill. After half a dozen strokes of the plane, that super micronized edge has already deteriorated to about the same level as one that's straight off a grinder and hone. Lots of extra work for very little return, I'd say.

I did buy a WorkSharp 3000 a few months ago. Compared to the Tormek, it was a colossal waste of money. I've seldom been more disappointed in a tool before.

As for his last act - setting the plane sole-down on his table saw - I'd draw the line at that. Firstly, it might scratch the saw's surface, and secondly, it ain't good for the plane. If he moves it even slightly forward, the blade will be affected. If he were setting it sole-down on his wooden benchtop, that'd be okay, though. I do that all the time myself. :rolleyes:

That was just silly!!

Going straight from grinder to buffer just adds time to sharpening. Slamming one tool onto another?? Why?? That is just silly.