Another whoseewhatchacallit

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Starting with the pieces this time and will try to update as I make progress :wave:

First off 36 vaguely similar pegs and two curious schnauzers.

IMG_1420.JPG

These were sized with the go/no go gauge I just posted about in the jigs & fixtures (I used one end set at 3/4" for the main dimension and the other end at 1/2" for the tenons). They aren't all perfect by any means but it was a lot of good skew^Wsanding practice... :rofl: After sorting and rejecting I'm hoping to get 24 nice ones for the project.

I think they are handles for those mop like things that they clean toilets with.
You got two dozen toilets in your house?

I'm curious also!

When we lived in the avocado orchard in Fallbrook, CA, the lady behind us had a schnauzer. That was the most loving animal that I ever encountered. It went into absolute rapture when I petted it.

The lady cut down all of the avocado trees in back of her house, all of the trees that the schnauzer could get to, that is. Seems the dog loved avocados. If one fell on the ground, it vanished---right into schnauzer's mouth. The dog was getting fat so she cut down the trees.

Enjoy,

JimB

Funny, I didn't think ovacados were good for dogs, apparently that one was ok with it (and well.. I see dogfood with it in it now that I think about it). I sure like them either way :D

So at this point I'm going to have to exclude Mr Gallian from guessing, sorry Paul but you have to admit it would be unfair :D

Got some pieces cut and some bracing glued up on the ends for later. The curves were cut with the bandsaw, cleaned up on drum sander and then tidied up by hand with a chisel and some sand paper.
IMG_1424.JPG

Holes were drilled and slots were cut.
IMG_1425.JPG

On all the pieces (sorry about the image quality)
IMG_1426.JPG

Some locking knobs where turned and some #8 machine screws had their heads lopped off and were epoxied in place. Not quuuittte the same, but close enough I suppose (grumble).
IMG_1427.JPG

Some 1/4" rod was marked
IMG_1430.JPG

And drilled/tapped to accept the machine screws.
IMG_1431.JPG

Darn close to dead center. The cross slide vice really helps here. Its the uber quality $45 HF special and has more backlash than a poorly run election, but is a heck of a lot better than not having it.
IMG_1432.JPG

One knob assembly. MuHahaha (I was going to count to four, but you can fill that in yourself .. two knob assemblies.. muahaha..)
IMG_1435.JPG

Frame "dry run". Seems to be fairly sturdy.
IMG_1437.JPG

Close up of how the ends go together.
IMG_1439.JPG

Back to the pegs. I wanted a nice close fit so had turned them a weee bit over sized. A quick homemade dowel plate (drill a 1/2" hole in a piece of metal, leave the slight burr from the drill bit raised on the top side as a cutter). Drive the tenons through them and voila a perfect (or close to it anyway) fit.
IMG_1442.JPG

The Schnauzers still have no idea whats going on.. but that's fairly normal for them :D
IMG_1444.JPG

I think your wife will put this to good use. I just nailed the boards with pegs to a wall in my shop and my wife uses it without complaint. She never uses any of the portable ones. If I had the ability as you do I would give it a try. Well done! Do you think Star Trek uses one to move real fast? Warp 3 Scotty.

I think your wife will put this to good use. I just nailed the boards with pegs to a wall in my shop and my wife uses it without complaint. She never uses any of the portable ones. If I had the ability as you do I would give it a try. Well done! Do you think Star Trek uses one to move real fast? Warp 3 Scotty.

Thanks Paul, we'll see on the functionality of the final product once the rubber hits the road and its put in use. Pretty is pretty, but its really meant to be used (I have a couple of remediation strategies for the few failure modes I can foresee, but am hoping they aren't needed). I would definitely bet that your solution is more functional (and certainly more sturdy), the main reason I'm doing all these convolutions is so its easier to store and more portable. I might also make a smaller more portable version as there has been talk of desire to go to some workshops (although the amount of equipment that has to go to those already makes me wonder if its worth the bother :rolleyes:)

Also please don't over think/shoot any "abilities" I might (or more realistically might not :D) have here either, there is a lot of gosh and by golly happening in between the updates otherwise something simple like this wouldn't be taking me three weeks to do. I made mock ups of just about every part here and have abandoned some stray pieces that didn't work out along the road (like the first 30 pegs that were to short :doh: - at least they are plausibly usable for other purposes.. coat rack anyone?). I'm pretty sure most anyone could make something about the same as this, most of doing is trying, failing, retrying.. at least that's how I do it.

Well I am nothing if not tardy on my updates here.

First I split the tenon on the pegs. I did this using a V holder on the bandsaw and carefully sliding the pegs into the blade. Shift the V holder over a blade width and a smidge and repeat. Finally clean out the little tag in the middle.
IMG_1446.JPG

Cut a bunch of small walnut wedges to match the slots, nothing complicated just left them rough from the bandsaw (imho they grab better that way).

From there it was just more assembly. Tap the pegs in place with some glue (careful to line up the opening the right way, I had a couple a little off and when they're tightly fit they're a bear to rotate), hammer in the wedges with more glue. Let it all dry, then flush cut, plane, sand..

Ends up something like this:
IMG_1447.JPG

Here is the whole thing laying on its back on the floor.
IMG_1448.JPG

Stood up and "in use" (ok test use - I have no idea what I'm doing for this part :rofl:). Pardon the mess, I've been patching my trousers in preparation for winter, the holes in the knees are cold.
IMG_1450.JPG

At this point its "done" although I still want to make a stand assembly to make it easier to use and a hanging rack to hang all of the pieces from when its not in use.

So to be fair since I can't imagine someone figuring this out if they didn't know what I was doing at all, here are some hints:
  • no it has nothing to do with the beer fridge behind it :D
  • Yes it has something to do with weaving (the "stand" will actually just be a couple of small brackets to attach it to a loom.

Looks very functional and pretty too :thumb:

My wife would like to see a photo of your loom warped and weaving..
thanks paul

Looks very functional and pretty too :thumb:

My wife would like to see a photo of your loom warped and weaving..
thanks paul

Well for that to happen we have to get all the pieces done first.. It will happen.. sooon; I promise.. :D

Next on my list is a couple of shuttles for it (which is why the warping board stand isn't getting any love at the moment); I got started on them last weekend but got hung up over complicating some of the details :rofl: I should have at least one finished by next week assuming I don't get stuck on something else along the way.