Captured Hollower ?

Mike Turner

Of those of you who have a manufactured one or have made your own captured hollowing system how far do the bars that "capture" or hold the tool extend to the front and back of the lathe? I would think the side nearest the turner would just about be equal to the front part of the ways of the lathe. And there would be a lot more in front of the lathe. Im just trying to get an idea on how much to put where. I will have pieces of steel 36" ,long to make this part and just dont excess in my way but dont want it too short either.Thanks !!!

I have the Oneway Deep Hollowing System and it mounts so that the capturing device extends towards the back of the lathe. If you think of how you hollow, you are cutting on the near (front of the lathe) side of the vessel, not the far side, because of the rotation of the lathe. Therefore you would want to position the bar farther toward the back of the lathe in order to get inside the shoulder of the vessel. Hope this helps.

Yep that is what I was thinking. From what Ive read some have 10" to the front or to the side the turner is on and the rest..Maybe 28 or so to the backside...away from the turner