It's Friday! 11/9 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Hoping to get the rest of the tile set in the shower this weekend. Will be also trying to get some drawers made for the linen closet. My wife has been getting the halloween stuff packed up, so will have to start packing it way in the attic again. Sunday I have a beer brewing class in the evening.

What's everyone else got going?

Working this weekend, as usual :( On the bright side Lowes offered me a week day full time position in Tools and hardware. I don't really want full time but they may adjust the hours for me.

Way too many family obligations to work every weekend.

I do need to find a few minutes to take and post a few pictures of several of my new "gloats" :D

Finishing up my standing desk project this weekend. Can't wait to get it in place and start using it. Pics to come when it's in place. Let the wisecracks begin...

Finishing up my standing desk project this weekend. Can't wait to get it in place and start using it. Pics to come when it's in place. Let the wisecracks begin...

Have there been no in progress pics Brent? There's one of these on my list, so I'm anxious to see the finished product.
I'll leave the wisecracks to the usual suspects, since I live in a glass house in the getting-stuff-done department lately.
Enjoy your weekend.

Have there been no in progress pics Brent? There's one of these on my list, so I'm anxious to see the finished product.
I'll leave the wisecracks to the usual suspects, since I live in a glass house in the getting-stuff-done department lately.
Enjoy your weekend.

I've learned with my track record not to do 'in progress' projects anymore. But the desk is done, and I just moved it into the house. I have a lot of computer 'stuff' to move and organize but should have it done a little later today.

With this project, there's been very little actual woodworking involved, but it is made primarily of wood. I'll get some pics posted either late tonight or tomorrow, if all goes well...

My weekend to do list is way too long but i hope to get through it. We got a dinner dance tonight that friends of ours organize every year at a banquet hall. Kinda like going to the disco in the old days. We got a taxi taking us to and fro since its all inclusive event.

Tomorrow if i survive tonight hope to get started on moving stuff out the garage and getting the small place i have at the back of the garage converted to a winterized workshop. Better something than nothing otherwise i will go crazy this winter. Just hope our weather turns out the way the weatherman predicated.

Between Satand sun we hope to clear out to a point our storage unit that has acted as a buffer for the past few months. Finally convince Linda its more cost effective to get rid of stuff than to hold onto it and pay more in storage than its worth. Its turned out to be a good process for us this moving. We needed to shed stuff we have had that came across with us and yet has not been used in 10 years.

BTW for those that remember my old shop at my previous house .....well its down. The new owners demolished it. Glad i got my heater out before they took ownership. Wish they had told me they were gonna do that i could have had it moved or salvaged some of it. Oh well they paid for it. Only thing Linda said was now the NN finally got their way. Sad really. But we much happier and have great neighbors now and they aint on our doorstep. :)

Enjoy the weekend guys and gals.

BTW for those that remember my old shop at my previous house .....well its down. The new owners demolished it. Glad i got my heater out before they took ownership. Wish they had told me they were gonna do that i could have had it moved or salvaged some of it. Oh well they paid for it. Only thing Linda said was now the NN finally got their way. Sad really. But we much happier and have great neighbors now and they aint on our doorstep.

What! Seems a shame with the really good job you did in having it built. And yes, it does not seem right that your NN is probably feeling great about it.

"BTW for those that remember my old shop at my previous house .....well its down. The new owners demolished it. "

Rob
I won't speculate what the thinking was for the new owners. It would seem that such a well-built outbuilding would be a real asset and useful for many things.
This brings to mind some sage advice our mentor gave us many years ago when we bought our place: "don't change too many things for a year or two, until you take time to think about how you want things to be in the future" It saves a lot of un-doing and re-doing.
Hope you're having a great weekend.
Going to miss going to the cenotaph tomorrow, it's not a day of solemn remembrance where I'm sitting this week.
Peter

Had a minor tragedy in the kegerator, a 5g keg of a Belgian Dubbel I've been cold aging for the last 6 months bled out all over the place. All my fault because I left a party tap hooked up to it after sampling a growler off for the homebrew club last week :mad: :bang: It was just about perfect to.

So took the "opportunity" to strip it all down and clean all the lines and taps after bailing it out. Morning pretty much shot on that, good to do every so often anyway but not like that.

This afternoon we're volunteering for an event at the civic center.

Might get some shop time in tomorrow.

BTW for those that remember my old shop at my previous house .....well its down. The new owners demolished it. Glad i got my heater out before they took ownership. Wish they had told me they were gonna do that i could have had it moved or salvaged some of it. Oh well they paid for it. Only thing Linda said was now the NN finally got their way. Sad really. But we much happier and have great neighbors now and they aint on our doorstep. :)

Some people have no taste. What a shame.

Had a minor tragedy in the kegerator, a 5g keg of a Belgian Dubbel I've been cold aging for the last 6 months bled out all over the place. All my fault because I left a party tap hooked up to it after sampling a growler off for the homebrew club last week :mad: :bang: It was just about perfect to.

So took the "opportunity" to strip it all down and clean all the lines and taps after bailing it out. Morning pretty much shot on that, good to do every so often anyway but not like that.

This afternoon we're volunteering for an event at the civic center.

Might get some shop time in tomorrow.

Ouch, that has to hurt! Need to get my kegerator built one of these days and get some beer in the fermentor.

I think I'm set on the kegorator. Got a nice little chest freezer, will build a collar, already have it on a temp controller.

What I'm struggling with is a fermentation chamber...

After being away from it for about 4 months, I'm actually getting a bit of shop time this weekend. :D I've been working from home in LA this past week in order to help out my wife following her knee surgery, so I've gotten a change to do a bit of playing in the shop. I've got a couple of things done or in progress on the lathe, with more to come before I head back to NM. Hoping to get a flatwork project done quickly while I'm here, too. ;)

Its Sunday, an awesome hunt in VA.
20121110_084728.jpg

Picking up last years buck from the taxidermist today
The temps are going to be great for a ride.

Finishing up putting up a steel shed in the back yard, with my son.

We got the shed up. It's 8 x 10, or 10 x 8 I suppose as the front is 10' wide. It was a horror to put up, driving hundreds and hundreds of screws, guessing at what the instructions meant, fighting the wind on those panels, but it feels pretty solid now. My son did most of the work. I had built the base, but in the shed I mostly held things still while he screwed them. Now I have a place to store the garden tools, as the other shed if sull of woodworking tools.