My latest Craftsman build

Dennis Ulrich

I just finished this coffee table as a Christmas gift, and wanted to share.

Attachments

• image-1577774498.jpg
    image-1577774498.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1965881889.jpg
    image-1965881889.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 42
  • image-524327753.jpg
    image-524327753.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1559293872.jpg
    image-1559293872.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 41
Nice, well executed example for the form.

Can you discuss what you did on the miter joints on the top?

The joints on the top are a mitered half lap. I didn't like the fit, so I cut a groove with my router plane and inserted a piece of oak from a different board to give a small contrast.

Thanks, the pegs had me wondering if you had put in some sort of spline but I couldn't see any evidence of it on the edge so was curious :D

FYI I think it looks great as it is, but I might have considered using the same wood as the pegs for the insert to make it look more intentional (not saying it would have looked better, just different).

Thanks, the pegs had me wondering if you had put in some sort of spline but I couldn't see any evidence of it on the edge so was curious :D

FYI I think it looks great as it is, but I might have considered using the same wood as the pegs for the insert to make it look more intentional (not saying it would have looked better, just different).

What you see is the end grain of oak dowels. End grain darkens much more with water based dye. The dowels were inserted in holes drilled slightly off from 90 degrees to key the joint. I can't bring myself to rely only on glue.

What you see is the end grain of oak dowels. End grain darkens much more with water based dye. The dowels were inserted in holes drilled slightly off from 90 degrees to key the joint. I can't bring myself to rely only on glue.

Ah, thanks for details :D. They looked darker than I'd have expected in the pics but its always hard for me to tell for sure in those cases :D. Like I said I like it either way, nice build.